850 chain drive ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 chain drive ?'s

Hey everyone. New guy here. Had a few questions about the 850's. I'm in the market for an engine for a project and ran across an 850 that is chain drive. I hadn't heard of a chain driven 850. Does anyone know what years these would be from, Also what model? Are these from the GL by chance? Is there anything different from the standard 850 shafty internaly I should be aware of and what might be interchangable with the other GS engines? Thanks for any help.

I'm nearly positive that suzuki didn't make a gs850 that was chain drive so it's not a suzuki. If you're asking about the 850GL, the G stands for shaft, so it's not from that. You're dealing with at least a non GS model, if not a non Suzuki make.

Comment

That's waht I was thinking. I went looking for some info on a chain driven 850 and came up with nothing. I found it on ebay. The guy dosn't give a whole lot of description about it, and the pic dosn't show the left side. If it is chain drive I'm thinking it's either a 750 or something else. Here's a pic

any ideas? I'm still waiting on an email from the seller for more info, so I'll ask him if he actually knows what he's talking about. [/img]

Comment

Look for the breather box. It ain't there. If it's been like that for any time, esp. a winter, that engine is no good. Moisture through the carbs will have risted it in.

... I think...

Michael

Comment

It says it don't run. That would be a good reason

Comment

I think I see a breather on top of the valve cover.... I don't think 850's were kick start either, and those aren't CV carbs.

EDIT: oops, never mind, the 850 did come with a kick start in the early years, as well as non-CV carbs. CV carbs started in 1980, according to suzukicycles.org. Maybe the seller's just confused on drive type, like KW said.

Comment

It's not a 750! The clutch cover/actuating mechanism shown in the pic is not from a GS750.

In the pic above I would say that it's either an 850 or 1000. Early 850's didn't have CV carbs.

Maybe the seller's mixed up about what kind of drive it has.

Comment

850 chain drive

I have a GS850GN 79 looks just like that engine pic. It has the vm carbs
                just like the pic. and it has a kick start .
                The Manual says nothing of chain drive.

Comment

does he list the VIN number in his auction for it?
                  from that time period the 850 and 1000 looked a lot alike from the right side.
                  you have to look close to see that the cylinders on the 1000 are a bit taller.
                  I bet it is a 1000

Comment

Hi Guys

Maybe it started life as a GS750 and has had the GS850 top end installed. They do fit and it would explain the chain drive.

Comment

Not a GS 1000, none of them had the kick start. Not an 8 valve 750 per the clutch cover.

Comment

Well, I finally recived an email from the seller. This guy must be a total retard. It is an 850 and it is shaft drive. :roll: . How do you screw that up? Anyway. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                        X