redline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

redline?

redline on my 650 is at 9500, but it pulls past that with ease and quicker then I even realize where it is. so anybody know whats safe to let them go to? I hit about 11,500 just as I pulled the clutch in to shift.

9,500 is the safe limit established by Suzuki, it is normaly ok, but not recomended to go a little past that, 11,500 is to far!!! excessive over reving can cause the valve adjustment shims to come out, potentialy causing severe engine damage.

on another hand, the factory tachs are not the most acurate tachs ever made, it is possible your tach is reading wrong, the 8 valve engines power band usualy drops off after about 8500 rpm.

Comment

hrmmm, well it comes on strong right from idle and just revs out right quick.
      how do I hook up an electric tach to check accuracy of the factory one?

what lets newer motors be able to hit well over 10,000rpm?

Comment

newer motors = newer technology. Newer bikes are made for high revving

Comment

what lets newer motors be able to hit well over 10,000rpm?
          Let's see:

-shorter stroke for lower piston speeds and accelerations
          -much better valve trains, optimized to run at high revs (shim under bucket arrangements, much lighter and stiffer than the old screw and locknut set-up)
          -25 years of materials development
          -25 years of design experience on highly stressed parts like connecting rods

The current 600's are revving to about 15,000rpm 8O at redline and the new GSXR 750 is redlined at 14,000rpm. The most impressive to me is the current liter bikes, they are all redlined about 12,000rpm. This from a 1000cc semi-long stroke motor that comes with a warranty. Very impressive.

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X