Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts availability?

Hi,

I'm new to the board. I have a long story to tell about the GS550ES in my sig, but for now I just have a simple question.

To you folks that are riding and restoring early to mid-eighties GSs: what is the parts availability like?

My wife has fallen head over heals for 550ES and ESFs and we sit at the brink of a major project. Tools and mechanical experience and ability we posess, an open budget we do not.

Please comment on general parts availability for these models and can you often find new stock? NOS? Aftermarket? Only at the junkyard?

Any insight you could provide would be most appreciated.

Hey Hatch, I've got an 83 GS1100GK and haven't had a lot of problems finding parts for it. Ebay is one of the best places to find a lot of the parts in used condition, I see 550's being parted out all the time on there. My GK is a little harder to find parts for as there were fewer of them sold so I have a hard time finding body parts (still need a new side cover my right one is missing one of the pins). Most other parts have been readily avilable though. If you need links to some of the parts sites let me know. I don't have them at home yet, but can post them Tuesday when I get to work. Also thanks for your input on my timing issue, I posted the site line pics so if you get a chance check them out.

Comment

I haven't had any trouble finding most parts or service. There are several parts vendors on the web and my local dealer is happy to take my money. There seem to be a lot of folks selling parts on eBay, but you're lucky to find what you need when you need it. I have a couple saved searches that I run just about every day to watch for interesting parts. Several Internet vendors have sites dedicated to GS bikes: www.gszone.com and http://www.partsnmore.com are two good ones. www.bikebandit.com is another good site. And there are a lot of others.

One part I haven't been able to find is the grab bar that goes around the back of the seat. I've been looking for months.

I have two 82 GLs, both in running condition. I have been thinking seriously about buying one or more parts bikes, and probably will if I ever see one. One thing that I have found to be real nice about having two bikes is that when I'm trying to put one back together I can look at the other to figure out how things fit together. That's been useful several times now.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I know there is a lot of stuff on eBay, but eBay is a minefield I only tread when necessary! 8O I realize I will probably have to eBay a time or two for this project.

I was mainly wondering if I would still be able to find new or NOS parts at a decent price or if I would be stuck at the junkyard and/or making parts.

Karl, thanks a mil for the links. I'm off to check those out now.

Comment

Working...
        X