Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock advice 82GS850

Hi All,

After not having a ride for about 19 years (I had a GT550 for about 10 years), 3 months ago I bought an 82GS850G in very good condition. The bike was always garaged and has just under 21,000 miles. Good original paint and holds all it's fluids.

While the original rear shocks aren't leaking, I am thinking that after 22 years it's time to consider replacing them. I'm 49 and about 250lbs. I mostly ride solo, although I figure the 135 lb wifey will come around before too long.

I am not into riding ultra fast or pushing hard thru the turns. I don't use much of my tires at all....LOL. Most of my rides are zipping around on back country roads between 55 to 65 mph with a modest amount of easy twisters.

My question is......Is there a good rear shock option out there that wont break the bank??? The front fork seals were replaced last October. I don't know if the front springs have ever been replaced on not.

Opinions and comments appreciated.

Thanks

Glenn Castiglione
    GoodProducts.Inc
    614-581-6000

Visit my website at www.GoodProducts-Inc.com

Hi.
    Just this weekend I got done putting on a new set of Progressive shocks with heavy duty springs. I'm at 247lbs (and hopefuly still loseing) . I also figured that after 22 years it was time for new shocks and fork springs. Progressive shocks are relatively expensive compared to old style automotive shocks . Mine were right around $250.00 from www.denniskirk.com.
    My only complaint is that I haven't gotten to ride it yet due to breaking the master link clip on my new chain and finding one of those on a holiday weekend is hopeless.

Comment

check out this place the only thing I've bought from them was a gasket set. The quality was very good and service was excellent even for them being in Canada (shipping back and forth from Canada to US is usually slow, but I had the gasket set in less then a week). I don't know what quality the shocks are, but the price is sure right. https://www.partsnmoreonline.com/PNM...s%20Parts.html

Comment

Hi

I have been using those shocks for ca: 9000KM,
        and to me they are good .The only bad thing with them as I see it,Is
        that the plastic pipe ,you put beween the rubber bushing and the mounting bolts is to soft.( I used the old original steel ones.)

GS1000GLx

Summer is here 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Einar J Skog
          Hi

I have been using those shocks for ca: 9000KM,
          and to me they are good .The only bad thing with them as I see it,Is
          that the plastic pipe ,you put beween the rubber bushing and the mounting bolts is to soft.( I used the old original steel ones.)

GS1000GLx

Summer is here 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
          I have those shocks on my GS750 and I think they are dreadfull!!!!! They're not too bad when riding solo ( I'm around 170lbs ) but when riding two up they're far too soft, even on the highest spring preload. Taking nice sweeping bends at anything over about 60mph causes the bike to wallow really bad. At higher speeds I think they are downright dangerous! Spend a few more $$$ and get something decent - the ones on mine are going in the bin before I go out on it again!

Comment

Shocks

Thanks KW,

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. It's also what I expected. There are good products to be found inexpensively sometimes but we need to do the appropriate reasearch.

In general you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks

Comment

Hi

On my bike those shocks are good.
              'The foot pegs and case savers touch the road before the shocks give upp.
              But I seldom ride faster than that I keep my lisence, if stopped by police.

GS1000GLx

Comment

I've been very happy with the Progressive shocks from Dennis Kirk on my '83 GS850G. I love to untangle a twisty road at sicko velocities, and I've always been happy with my Progressives.

You can buy them with three different springs -- the regular, heavy-duty, and super-heavy-duty. I started out with the heavy duty, but even with preload at max, they would still bottom with my wife and I on board, even with no luggage. (I weigh about 250, and my wife is about half that.)

With the super-deeee-duper springs in place, I normally run preload at the second position out of five. I bump it up to #4 with a passenger, and #5 with a passenger and luggage. Perfect.

Don't forget to also order up a set of Progressive fork springs to go with your shocks. I made preload spacers 1/2 inch longer than recommended. I'd still like a bit more preload, but it's extremely difficult to put the caps on as it is. I also replace the fork oil every spring with 20W fork oil.

This year, I tried an old trick and mixed in some "Motor Honey" viscosity improver with the fork oil at about 10:1 ratio. This made an huge difference -- the front end is much better controlled at higher speeds, and still has good compliance over small imperfections.

I do not add air pressure to the forks -- it's not needed with the new springs and the preload set properly. I also don't enjoy replacing fork seals.

Riding quickly on a bike as old and heavy as a GS850G is a real giggle, but you have to be prepared. Even with all the suspension work, I have to be ultra-smooth at speed to avoid uncontrolled chassis and swingarm flex.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X