engine dies when front brake is applied hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine dies when front brake is applied hard

does anyone know why my engine dies when i appily my front brake hard . the bike will idle fine , it only dies when i do this. any ideas why?? thanks guys

Re: engine dies when front brake is applied hard

My first thought is that the brake light comes on when the brake is applied.
    At idle, the charging circuit does not support the requirements of the ignition system plus the additional load of a brake light, so you would be running off battery at a drain at that instant. Either a bad battery ground, or a low charged or faulty battery would be my inclination.

Earl

Originally posted by pete_holden
    does anyone know why my engine dies when i appily my front brake hard . the bike will idle fine , it only dies when i do this. any ideas why?? thanks guys
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Either your fuel level is set to low or maybe to high? in the bowls or you have a bad electrical connection somewhere. Hot wire the bike and see if the problem goes away. Check fuse's, kill switch and ignition switch.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

What bike is it Pete? Does it do while the bike is stopped and idling or does it do it while in motion, for instance as you're coming to a stop and then dies as you pull the clutch in. You mention it does it while you pull hard on the brake. Pull just enough on the lever to turn the brake light on and see if it quits, if it does then it could be the type of electrical problem mentioned above or a possible partial short to ground of the brake light wire. Also, spray some contact cleaner into the RUN/OFF switch if you have one and also into the ignition switch switch, it could be caused by a poor contact in the switches. Hope this helps.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

When

If it does it as you decelerate rapidly, it's a complicated matter that is discussed in one of the back issues of "Motorcyclist" magazine. I don't remember ever having a bike that didn't do it and my GS750L is no exception. :roll:

If it dies at idle, I imagine Earl and Sandy are right...at least it sounds logical.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

it dosnt do it when im just stoped. it does it when i appily it hard while moving , mostely when im doing endos lol . the bike is a gs750es.i dont think its electrical. someone said it could be fuel level? any idea on what the floats should be set at? i have 4-1 pipe an emgo pods. thanks

Comment

what is your idle? mine was doing that as well i turned it up to 1100/1200 rpms and it fixed it.

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Sounds like you're having float bowl related issues. These carburators are not designed to work efficiently at that angle (doing brakies) as well as having the added G force of the braking added. They are either going full rich or lean depending on the particular carb. I watched a half time stunt show at Race City Speedway in Calgary a few years ago and they were doing extreme stuff including really long brakies. While doing the brakies the only way they could keep the bikes from quitting was to give them partial throttle and keep the revs up. I think they were running (ruinning) 900RR Hondas. Changing the float levels will most likely create a drivability issue. Bumping the idle up a bit might help but I doubt it will be enough in your case. You just might have to live with it.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Pull the clutch in when you apply the brake......Just kidding. I'm with Earlfor on this one I had a 67 305 honda that did this. My charging system was not working properly

Comment

Though I don't do stoppies....my bike used to do this until I replaced the Regulator/rectifier with a new electrex one.

Since then it keeps whatever rpm until I do something. It no longer dies when I stop.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                    X