83 GS550E Ignition Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550E Ignition Problem?

On my 83 GS550E restoration project, Got the coils replaced, got it running, sort of - won't idle. and the exhaust pipes get warm on only one side. swapped the coils out, but still have cold pipes on right side. I thought maybe it was my ignitor, so went to my Haynes Manual, looked up the schematic for it tested with a meter. Most of the tests registered backwards according to the chart. So either the book is wrong, or the ignitor is really messed up. Not good with electronics, but using a Ohm meter is a piece of cake. Either it has reisitance or it doesn't. SO I'm back to square one... Any ideas?

Shouldn't be electrical if the two right side cyklinders aren't firing up. If it were 2&3 or 1&4 your problem would be electrical. Guessing carb problems here.

Comment

One quick way to rule out electrical is to look at the spark plugs firing. Take one out (from the cylinder you don't think it firing), butt the threading of the sparkplug up to the engine (for grounding), and start the engine. Look for a blue spark to jump across the spark plug. If you see one, you know it's probably not the ignitor.

Comment

Yeap...

I tried that too. I got new plugs, grounded them to the side of the head, got fire out of 1 and 2, intermittent and weak on 4 - nothing on 3. So that tells me the coils are good... Right? At this point it won't start at all now. But before it died and wouldn't start again, the ignitor got really warm. Now nothing but cranking.

Comment

Working...
        X