Sluggish, sometimes chokes at stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sluggish, sometimes chokes at stops

Jeez, I'm really happy to have found this site.

Backstory:
    I bought a GS850 for a grand about a year ago. (just over 10k miles) It was sitting for quite a long time dry, however inside a warehouse, and safe from the elements. I took it to a mechanic who cleaned the bejeezus out of it, and deemed it 'road worthy.' I put about 100 miles on it before having to move - I couldn't take it with me right away, and a pal has been holding it in his garage for the last 9 months.

I got the bike back this last weekend. Now, I am a new rider. That 100 miles 9 months ago seems like a foggy dream. While I was waiting to get the bike back, I did some reading, and realized I should have put some fuel stabilzer or something in the tank. Oops. So, I've got it back now, and had to take it in for yet another cleanup. (Getting spendy, definitly will take proper storing precautions this winter.)

Problem:
    I've been riding it around for about 2 days, and have noticed that it's pretty sluggish when crusing at normal speeds. I try to accelerate, and it will take a good 2-4 seconds before 'kicking in'. This concerns me a little. What's worse, is that -sometimes- (pretty random) when I come to a stop, I won't be able to start again. I'll start out, and then the bike just dies, leaving me to scurry across the intersection and pray I don't get flattened. Another odd symptom is backfiring - and I'm quite certain it wasn't doing that 9 months ago.

It idles perfectly, and once I crack the throttle (and it kicks in) it's a damn quick little machine. Mechanic said he measured 64 horses in there, (which he claims is amazing for it's age) - so I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Again, I am a new rider - and not exactly mechanically inclined. (But I'm getting there.)
    Is this just leftover gunk from it's last storage? Crap fuel added by the mechanic? Will it go away i
    f I keep riding it?

Any tips/hints are appreciated.

-Mahlon
    mahlon@martini.nu

I have the same problem with my 83' GS 750 and am at a loss I would appreciate any help myself.

Comment

Possible solution

From what you described, it sounds like you just mike have a tank full of bad gas. If this is the case, I would drain the gas tank, and drain the bowls of the carbs. There should be a small screw or bolt on the bottom of each carb. Put in a full tank of premium gas, with about half a bottle of gum-out carb cleaner, and run it.

Also, make sure your battery has a good strong charge on it. If you've had the same battery since you bought the bike, chances are that it might have gone south. Check the fluid level (if a standard battery) and add distilled water if it is low.

Hope this gets you started.

Comment

Congratulations! Sounds like you scored a nice machine.

As to the fuel problems, you probably have everything you need from the last message, but I would add an in-line fuel filter. This will prevent any tiny bits of junk in the tank reaching the carbs, which is a common complaint, and it's also very cheap insurance, costing only about $3
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: Possible solution

Originally posted by grandebob
          From what you described, it sounds like you just mike have a tank full of bad gas. If this is the case, I would drain the gas tank, and drain the bowls of the carbs. There should be a small screw or bolt on the bottom of each carb. Put in a full tank of premium gas, with about half a bottle of gum-out carb cleaner, and run it.

Also, make sure your battery has a good strong charge on it. If you've had the same battery since you bought the bike, chances are that it might have gone south. Check the fluid level (if a standard battery) and add distilled water if it is low.

Hope this gets you started.
          Good advise except DONT USE CARB CLEANER!. It will attack the rubber O rings in the carbs. Use Fuel Injector cleaner instead. Fuel injection systems have rubber O rings in them and the injector cleaner is different from carb cleaner.

Also be sure that you air filter is clean and that the plugs aren't fouling out. Your idle should be set at between 950 and 1150 when warmed up really good. If you doing mostly city riding gap your plugs towards the smaller number and if its highway riding gap them towards the larger number.

Comment

If your gas sat that long in in the tank and went bad, imagine what the gas in the carbs did........Hmmmmmmmmmm, probably went south also. You may want to look into another cleaning. Next time..........use fuel stab.

Comment

Working...
            X