Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testimonial on Electrix r/r and Stator upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testimonial on Electrix r/r and Stator upgrade.

for all you guys that are contemplating an upgrade to Electrex charging system components, just wanted to let you know I followed some advice from the Forum here. after having problems with the stock charging system leaving me stranded and never having the confidence to take my GS 1100 on long trips.....I made the change. I first cleaned up all the connectors.....checked Ground connections and after testing found my stator fried and stock R/R questionable. I then ordered the new Electrex R/R and Stator and installed three months ago.all i can say is what a diffrence.....starts like a nw bike every time run lights,radio,all accessories and after an 8 or 10 hour ride....never misses a lick.all I can say is you can see the quality that the components are designed with and made and found the prices to still be considerably cheaper than stock replacement parts from Suzuki........i'll definately be riding a lot this summer!......Thanks for some good advice Guys!....Larry in Ft Walton Bch Fla.

I made the same change to both my 750 and 1150. After 36000 on the 750 and nearly 20000 on the 1150, not a single problem with either one. Money well spent. :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Well my GS850 has 36K miles Original stator and a Honda Reg/Rect (for the last 10K) No problems at all. I hope you eliminated the light switch from the reg circuit

Comment

Electrex electrics

Just recently made the same changes on my '80 GS 850 Gl and would echo Larry's praises of the Electrex product and this site. Last season the stator died, and as I was flat broke at that time, I basically had to ride around with a battery charger in the trunk and had to bump start her numerous times. How do you spell strangulated hernia? Stopping for gas was an adventure. Not a cheap repair ( replaced the RR while I was at it ) , but the difference is well worth the money, particularly when compared to the cost of O.E.M replacements.

Comment

"Old 83" was boiling its battery dry until I replaced the r/r and stator with Electrex components. That was last summer (bike is ridden year round) and I haven't had to add any water to the battery yet......fairly amazing considering how hot it can get here in North Carolina. I probably didn't need to do the stator, but I did anyway as a preventative. I'm also a satisfied customer!
          Scott

Comment

i just found out tonight that i have a charging problem.sitting at a light and she just shut down,no lights nothin.checked fuses everthing ok.called wife to come down. by the time she showed up i was getting some power back.so i jumped it and she fired right up.turned off the headlight and drove it home.been on the electrex site checkin prices and availibility :roll:

Comment

I suspect that the stock stator is probably not the problem but rather an innocent victim. I think that the R&R unit is the major culprit. Overheating the stator can be another culprit.

The previous owner of my 1100 put in a Honda R&R unit, and it has no trouble at all. It has a stock Suzuki stator. He had a fairing with radio and cigarette lighter and full bags with the extra lights. I removed all of the extra stuff and have returned it to stock.

My 850 is testing as having a weak stator (i.e., it only generates about 13.9 volts at 5000 RPM). The previous owner of that bike ran it low on oil. It's in the documentation that low oil can reduce heat dissipation from the stator and do it damage. Curiously, the bike is running OK and keeps the battery charged. I suspect it's only a matter of time before it starts causing me problems.

I'm going to replace both the stator and R&R unit in the 850 with Electrex components. I already have them ready to install.

As for the 1100 with the Honda R&R unit. I'm going to leave it the way it is.

My conclusion is that, with a good R&R unit and the right amount of oil in the engine, a GS will run just fine.

Comment

Working...
              X