Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed a Dyna III on my 1000L. Questions about timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed a Dyna III on my 1000L. Questions about timing?

Installed a DynaIII ignition, and accel coils. Everything is wired correctly. The Dyna instructinos suck when it comes to explaining timing. I installed a Dyna "S" on a KZ1000 before, but don't remember it being this difficult to get timed.

Anyway, following the directions I adjusted both the 1-4 and 2-3 sensors to fire when the mechanical advance is lined up the the 1-4 and 2-3 marks. Using the three timing marks "T", "F", and "1-4 or 2-3" my understanding is that Dyna is telling me to have each coil fire at full advance (when the 1-4 or 2-3 mark is lined up with the mark on that metal plate the fits under the ignition plate). Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense.

Can anyone tell me if I have this right? If not, which timing marks do I want to have lined up?

Thanks,
    -Tom

So after some more searching here on GS I came up with the following. The 1-4 mark indicates TDC. So this is the mark I should be lined up with.

This brings up another question. The Dyna instructions say to hold the rotor at full advance while timing. Are they talking about the mechanical advance unit (the assembly that all the marks are on)? Or are they telling me to rotate the ignition plate all the way to the right?

I was able to get the bike started only once. It reved up way too fast so I killed it. After that I was not able to get it restarted. The reving is another issue, idle adjust, choke adjust, throttle cable adjust, etc....
    But the hard starting I'm attributing to the timing.

Thanks,
    Tom

Comment

The mechanical advance is on the shaft that rotates(with engine running), that the black, round, trigger is mounted on (make sure it's not loose, I think I had to add a washer). Not either of the stacked plates. You need to rotate and hold the trigger at it's fully advanced position (there's moveable weights and springs behind the pickup coil plate), as you adjust the pickups.You can also use a timing light, which is much easier, I believe full advance is reached at @ 3000 RPM.

Comment

OK, think I got it right this time. Re-timed it and it started right up.

Thanks,
        -Tom

Comment

Working...
        X