Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 electrical problems

Hi All,

I have a 1985 GS450A that I bought a few months back for about $500.
    Anyway, I drove it last night and everything was fine no problems at all. Then this morning I stick my key in and no power, no lights, no nothing.
    Since there was no power I knew right off it was either the battery or the main fuse. The fuse was fine. So called a cycle shop that happened to be open on labor looking to buy a charger. Got the charger and started charging the battery. The old light on my Battery Tender went from red to green within like ten minutes or so. So I go back out and put the battery in hoping it would start up for me. Still no power.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that when I first discovered there was no power this morning suddenly everything came on, lights and all. So I started it up and was backing it out, hoping to make it to Blockbuster before my DVD rental was late. Then the power went out again.
    Okay, back to where I was. After I put the battery back in and pulled the electrical tape off the red wire it slipped out my hand and sparked a couple of times. It touched something and the engine kinda started but no lights or anything like that.
    Does anyone know where I should start to try resolve this problem?
    Like is there more than one fuse on a 1985 GS450?
    I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dwaun
    Phoenix, AZ

My guess: faulty ignition switch or related wiring. The bike is OK other than it just forgets that it's on.

Here is a wiring diagram for a similar bike: http://www.twostrokes.com/diagrams/S...50LD_LF_LG.gif.

I suggest that you get into the headlight bucket and hunt down the ignition switch connector. On my 81 450E it's green. Put an ohmmeter on the ignition switch in each position and see if it connects at the right times.

Michael

Comment

Re: GS450 electrical problems

That sounds like a wiring short to me. The fun is trying to find it! 8O You've tested your fuse (my 450LE has only one too), the battery is well charged, so the next step to find out where the connection is failing. In my case it was the ignition switch - jiggle the key a little and lights out! A friend of mine had one under the seat, start the bike, everything's ok, sit on it and it cuts out...

As for what you touched and the bike tried to start, that would be the starter solenoid, behind the left side cover, all you really did was bypass the starter switch - no harm done.

If you pull the seat, and side covers, and maybe the gas tank too so you can see most of the wiring harness, you can turn it on and start wigling connectors to see where the fault is, or use a multi meter and see where the current stops flowing. It'll be tedious but I bet you'll find a spot with a poor connection soon enough.

I hope this helps...Sam

Originally posted by dwaunthomas
      Hi All,

I have a 1985 GS450A that I bought a few months back for about $500.
      Anyway, I drove it last night and everything was fine no problems at all. Then this morning I stick my key in and no power, no lights, no nothing.
      Since there was no power I knew right off it was either the battery or the main fuse. The fuse was fine. So called a cycle shop that happened to be open on labor looking to buy a charger. Got the charger and started charging the battery. The old light on my Battery Tender went from red to green within like ten minutes or so. So I go back out and put the battery in hoping it would start up for me. Still no power.
      Oh, I forgot to mention that when I first discovered there was no power this morning suddenly everything came on, lights and all. So I started it up and was backing it out, hoping to make it to Blockbuster before my DVD rental was late. Then the power went out again.
      Okay, back to where I was. After I put the battery back in and pulled the electrical tape off the red wire it slipped out my hand and sparked a couple of times. It touched something and the engine kinda started but no lights or anything like that.
      Does anyone know where I should start to try resolve this problem?
      Like is there more than one fuse on a 1985 GS450?
      I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Dwaun
      Phoenix, AZ

Comment

450s only have 1 fuse...

Sounds like a short or bad switch to me...

Comment

Working...
        X