no guessing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no guessing!

when adjusting valves on a standard OHV engine with pushrods and rockers, valve clearance becomes less as the engine gets hot. Mostly due to the expansion of the push rod growing longer.
    In an overhead cam engine, like our GS 2 vlave engine, would the clearance grow greater with a hot engine? The aluminum head would expand taller, raising the cam journals higher away from the valve shim bucket, and the valve head lower at a greater rate than the steel valve stem would grow. Any one know for sure?
    thanks

you do valve adjusting with the engine stone cold, that means you can not start the bike for at least 24 and it should be kept out of the sun as well.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

yes, i know that. I am wondering what actually happens to the clearance as the engine gets hot. Greater (atypical) or less (typical)? So often, one shim size either way puts the clearance very close to the low limit or close to the highlimit. Wondering which way is better. If clearance increases with hot engine (atypical) than the tighter adjustment would be better.

Comment

I've often wondered the same thing....
        I'm glad you had the mental acuity to put it to words.

Dm of mD

Comment

If in doubt, always go with the wider clearance. Too tight or "borderline" can burn a valve. Too loose accelerates wear over time. Are you aware of "fat" shims? They will have an "X" after the stamped size.
          Example: 2.55X A typical "fat" 2.55 shim will actually be 2.57 or 2.58
          These make adjusting a lot easier.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

was not aware of "fat" shims. I have them. Didn't know what the "X" was for. Thanks. But?

Comment

fter you do your next valve clearancing check them again after you test drive the bike. That should answer your question.

Comment

As for what happens to clearances after the motor is hot, they tighten up.
                Some metals expand more than others and some faster than others. Some hold their heat longer and take longer to cool down. That's about all I know on the subject. With the fat shims, you should not have any trouble adjusting.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                X