oil sight glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil sight glass

Has anyone ever had to replace one of these? The polisher messed mine up and I'm trying to find one. Bikebandit lists the entire clutch cover as a part (as does Suzuki) and does not sell a separate glass. I'm now wondering if they are sold aftermaket or maybe I can use one from Kawasaki or others.

I would like to know the same thing, the window on mine looks like it was sandblasted! ](*,)

Comment

If you can find one in a salvage yard or eBay maybe.
      I know people who have replaced them but I never have.
      You may want to just try some of the visor restorer stuff
      on it first and see if you can clear it back up.

There are all kinds of visor cleaner that restore plastic
      visors that are not completely gone to usable condition.

Might work?

Comment

Since it's screwed up on the outside, you should be able to polish it enough,(as long as the scratches aren't too deep) with a fine rubbing compound, to make it useable again.*off topic* I tried to clean the inside of mine several times over the years, by just trying to wipe it clean with a Q-Tip when I had the cover off, never worked....this winter, when I was polishing the cover, I took a toothpick and used it to wipe/scrape the inside of the lens and Holy Smokes! the thing cleaned up like brand new, seemed to be a layer of smokey film covering the inside and the wooden toothpick removed it really well, it's actually clear now.

Comment

My bike also had a very dark brown opaque film on the inside of the sight glass. I took off the side cover and wrapped my #0 phillips screwdriver with a cloth shop rag, sprayed carb cleaner on the rag and on the sight glass, stuck it through the little holes on the sides and rubbed off the goop - looks brand new now.

As has been said, there are some good plastic restoring/polishing products. I have used these on motorcycle windshields and helmet visors with amazing results. Try a special plastic cleaner/restorer/polisher before you try replacing the unit.

Alex

Comment

If you don't need a crystal clear surface, I've found that a paste of baking soda in water is just abrasive enough to clean up scuffs and scratches in the plastic lens of my wristwatch without impacting readability.

It didn't work on the spare snap-on helmet visor the guy I bought my bike from gave me, though. It leaves a haze that looks like somebody let salt water evaporate on the plastic. No good for highway visibility.

Dave

Comment

Polishing won't help me. Anyone know of any aftermaket sights or does any other manufacturers units work?

Comment

I've never had one off, but I'm just guessing that if you can just take it apart and turn the glass around the oil level might be visible enough when the damaged side is against the oil. If you take a piece of clear plastic and sand one side you can't see through it, if you now apply water to the scratched side you can. Might be worth a try.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Dom (Scotty) had a link to "`how to repair an oil sight glass" on his website a while ago. The link ( http://www.geocities.com/slowpoke59d...ightGlass.html ) is empty now. Maybe he still knows were to find it.

Comment

Is the sight glass broken? Is the seal messed up? The problem here could be much worse than a few scratches or haziness.

Also, what kind of bike is it?
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Do a search you miight find the post ages ago it was posted about replacing the oil sight window with a part # ?? Dom was repairing master cyl window

Comment

For my GS850GLZ, the sight glass Suzuki part number is 11971-45010. I can put that number into Bike Bandit's part number search and get this: 11971-45010 477887-001 LENS OIL LEVEL $9.75. Here's how I was able to do it:

I bought a CD from www.zedder.com that has all of the schematics that Bike Bandit does (and more, I think), except that the CDs are sold by model. Mine has the 850GLZ and the 850GLD models. The CD cost about $30. The CD has all of the Suzuki part numbers on it, so I can go to any of the sites with part number searches and find a lot of parts. I think Ron Ayers site also has Suzuki part number lookups.

I would say that a CD from Zedder is a must have if you're committed to your bike. I have a PC in my workshop and can print the schematics to make notes and such. It's real handy.

Comment

Try toothpaste, really.
                          I've used it on eye glasses, just enough abrasion to take out the scratches.

Or see if you can order just the lense.
                          Keith
                          -------------------------------------------
                          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                            Dom (Scotty) had a link to "`how to repair an oil sight glass" on his website a while ago. The link ( http://www.geocities.com/slowpoke59d...ightGlass.html ) is empty now. Maybe he still knows were to find it.
                            It no longer exists Harry. sorry

Comment

For my GS850GLZ, the sight glass Suzuki part number is 11971-45010. I can put that number into Bike Bandit's part number search and get this: 11971-45010 477887-001 LENS OIL LEVEL $9.75.
                              I was able to look this one up in bikebandit also. For some odd reason, the lens for my '80 1100 is not listed seperately.

I think I will order this part and see if it fits. I am guessing that Suzuki had a very limited number of different designs on this part - just a guess.

I would like to thank all who offered suggestions, and Dom who offered a used cover with the lens in it. What a great site, with wonderful people.

Comment

Working...
                              X