No announcement yet.

Fuel Injection for GS Series Bikes?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Nick. You are going to atomize fuel with an extremely complicated system that has multiple inputs (tach, temp, air density, etc...) rather than use a completely tried and true mechanical system. Much headache and complexity for little to no advantage (gas mileage will probably be worse). The GPZ systems are very crude and extremely expensive to fix/replace. That's why you see the parts on Ebay: the general rule is to pull the system if you have problems and put carbs on! I have an article from Cycle world (approx 1988) where they put a fuel injection system on a ZX-10. It was a huge undertaking for a team of professionals to get it matched to the bike correctly. They finally achieved good results and pointed the way to today's much refined systems. Even so, carbs are still on many new models because they offer affordable and proven reliability.

Comment

Back to the original question...
      MegaSquirt yahoo group

MegaSquirt forum page

MegaSquirt official web page

Mini-MS (small form factor MegaSquirt board)

MegaSquirt group specific to motorcycles

Cost? You could probably do the entire system for less than $200. Why would gas mileage be worse on a system that actually measure and reacts rather than a purely mechanical system (with far more moving parts) that can only be set perfectly under a given set of parameters and cannot react to changing environmental conditions?

Comment

Nick....Thank you very much !!!!

Nick, I want to thank you for your post.

With out it I may not have gotten to hear from some of the great guys out there who, like me, understsand that one of the greatest joys of having an old bike is being able to tinker with it and try and make it MORE FUN TO RIDE.

Can't do that with a $20,000 BMW.

Thanks again for bringing out the best in them.

PS.....Thanks guys for coming to my defense. Much appreciated.

Comment

Fastpakr, the $200 will only get you a video game. You need to purchase and set up the entire mechanical fuel injection system after that.

Comment

Um... there isn't that much more to it than that. It comes with a MAP sensor, an O2 sensor is only a few dollars (you can use ANY narrow band sensor), etc... Beyond that, take care of getting fuel at high pressure to whatever throttle body system you modify to fit and the rest is just details.

Comment

You're welcome, gcastig. I'm glad I was able to help. Yes, I'm a first-class son of a bitch. I wasn't born that way; I just work very hard at it.

Now go ahead and waste your time and money. I bet you don't get very far on this so-called project. Tinker with a basket case, not with a perfectly good and capable runner like the 82 GS850.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                Now go ahead and waste your time and money. I bet you don't get very far on this so-called project. Tinker with a basket case, not with a perfectly good and capable runner like the 82 GS850.

Nick
                Now those are encouraging words, Nick. Why should it make you any difference what he does or doesn't do to his bike? Whether or not he succeeds is not all that important...Who can predict what will be learned in the process? Some of us enjoy tinkering with perfectly good stuff and sometimes in the process mistakes turn into major sucesses. Ever read the story of the chemist who invented the glue used on Post it Notes?

Comment

Dan, it's partly that I hate to see a perfectly good GS850 being turned into a guinea pig for little or no gain. There's a good chance of a GS850 being ruined in this dubious process, and that makes a difference to me.

I'm discouraging this project simply because it isn't worth the time or the expense. I guess I'm being a devil's advocate here.

Besides, gcastig says I did him a great favor, and that he welcomed my posts.

Nick

Comment

Well call me spoilt but I have a couple of GS1000,s So I can continue to ride as well as tinker.. To each there own I think..

Comment

For those interested in Megasquirt, i am currently installing one in a kawasaki (I Know!) Z1 dragbike. I is a 1000 an we are looking to get 300HP on 118 octane race fuel. I will let you guys know when i get it running
                      Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                      2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                        Dan, it's partly that I hate to see a perfectly good GS850 being turned into a guinea pig for little or no gain. There's a good chance of a GS850 being ruined in this dubious process, and that makes a difference to me.

Nick
                        How is "gain" measured though? Not every modification has to increase a bikes performance/saleability/reliability or restore it to its original form.

I make modifications all the time to my bike and do they really do anything? No but the satisfaction I get from working on my bike is enormous.

gcastig has a "can do, think outside the square" attitude and it was people like him/her that originally designed the GS series we know and love today.

Comment

Some people like to"fix" their bikes. Most people that do, have a far better understanding of how things work and what to do when they break down. Those that just "ride" will be the ones sitting at the side of the road with their head in their hands, and their bike not running, with no idea where to begin. As far a modifications go, to each his own. If it wasn't for creative thinking, we would still be chewing on raw meat huddled around a fire in a dark cave. Lets be positive oops...did I use my allotment?

Comment

The gain is as you describe, the personal satisfaction.
                            I built my Bimota/Macintosh style and the satisfaction I get out of the finished product is awesome.. it looks great, it goes well, it handles awesome..
                            Took me a couple of years to build it but it was a much fun to build as it is to ride.. The fuel injection would be a great thing in personal satisfaction.
                            Regards Simon

Comment

Oh Elevenhundred.......another self professed tinkeraholic..........Be still ole brain of mine.......

I bow to thee and kiss thy feet. I hope "thinking out of the square" brings you many joyous moments and satisfying results....as long as you shall live.

Best regards,

Comment

EFI : Ebay Fuel Injection

I think I saw the same thing on ebay. If it was, it was off a mini-car or micro-car or something like that. Those guys use motorbike engines in ( I think) half scale racing cars. They are racing so they don't give a damn what it looks like if it works. You might want to see if there is anything on the net under that category. I might want to see if there is anything on the net under that category. Riding bikes is good but so is making something work because it is better or just because it is different or just because it personalises your vehicle, whatever it is. It is fundamental. It is probably the same thing that makes someone change their hubcaps that made someone paint the wall of their cave. That's my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Working...
                                X