Fuel Injection for GS Series Bikes?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Injection for GS Series Bikes?????

This may qualify as the stupid question of the month (or year) but has anyone developed a funtional fuel injection/intake manifold system for our beloved GS bikes.

Being an engineer, albeit from an entirely different field (Thermodynamics), I can help thinking "What If".

Please forgive any unintended ignorance.

I am not aware of a kit being available. There used to be a mechanical injection kit available many years ago in the UK. The expense of converting would be prohibitive given that you can set up the carbs ok for good rideability and power.

Comment

I am watching a fuel injection set off a kawasaki GPZ that is dirt cheap.
      Now I know there will be people that will explain why it is so cheap but I have thought about doing this for ages.. Surely if the basics from the old GPZ were intergrated into the GS it should in theory work..
      I know the end product would be better off using BMW injectors..

Regards Simon

Comment

A few months ago someone was selling an injection system that was supposed to fit a GS on eBay. I don't remember too much about it other than that it didn't look elegant in any way. It appeared to be a custom job (could be wrong) and looked like it would be pretty obtrusive. The seller claimed that it worked but who knows.

Jeff

Comment

Ahh beauty in the eye of the beholder I think..
          I am not too thrilled on using kwaka bits.. but if its cheap and it keeps me occupied the missus will love it..
          I think it would be neat.. but then I look at GPZ turbo bits at swap meets as well with a glint in my eye...

Simon

Comment

How about the injection for the GSX1400, it looks like it might have the right spacing between the intake boots? Some jetting/tuning is unavoidable in any case. Than again, making youre own can't be that difficult, you need 4 injectors, 1 lambda sonde, 1 fuel pump, 1 microcontroller and some odd bits and pieces.

Comment

Just leave the GS alone and ride the damn thing.

Nick

Comment

Just leave the GS alone and ride the damn thing ????

Quite an interesting statement from (Nick) a man who lists his bike as a "Hybrid 1984 GS1100GKE".

Comment

Evidently you don't know the background, gcastig. My GK is a hybrid because of the deer collision I had back in December, 2001. The stock GK fairing was destroyed in the accident, as was the trunk. What makes my GK a hybrid is that I had to replace the stock GK fairing/lowers with a Windjammer fairing/lowers. I bought a generic trunk to replace the stock GK.

The stock GK triple tree was tweaked out of shape, so I replaced it with one from a GS850, and GS850 forks.

So, I would've kept my GK stock had it not been for this unfortunate happening. Otherwise, my GK is stock. I'm no hypocrite, which is the tone I gathered from your post.

This is why it's a hybrid -- by necessity, not by choice.

So, I say leave the GS alone the way it is. Ride it and enjoy it, and stop thinking about making it into what it isn't.

Nick

Comment

I've been off the list for some time, but the MegaSquirt system certainly holds promise for this application. As I recall, somebody was pursuing building a smaller version of the board that would fit better on a bike. I'm thinking about playing with injecting mine next year, I'd take a laptop tuneable EFI over a carb every day of the week.

Comment

You have a perfect right to waste your money on your GS rather than enjoy it for what it is.

Nick

Comment

Nick, do you make it a point to act this way to people who choose to learn and apply their knowledge, or does it come naturally? EFI has the potential for better cold starts and cold running, better fuel economy, etc... Why knock those who choose to apply modern technology to a 20 year old bike?

Comment

I act this way because

1. It comes naturally.

2. You guys ought to spend your time riding and enjoying instead of fooling with a 20+ year old bike which runs fine the way it is. I start mine these warm days without even choking it. A couple of blips of the throttle and it's idling perfectly, and is ready to be ridden. Same thing ought to happen with your 82 GS750. Gas mileage is fine too.

The opinion was asked for of this group. I gave mine. You obviously don't like it. Fine with me. Waste your money. I'll keep on riding my GS while you guys "fix" yours.

You want to own and ride a modern bike? Then get a new one with stock fuel injection.

Nick

Comment

We don't have an ignore button here for people like you do we? It would save a lot of us the time of reading about your phallic fixation on shaft drives and how much time we waste working on our bikes.

Opinions of whether EFI was a good idea was NOT asked of this group. How to do it and whether it had already been done was the question. I think you misunderstood the topic at hand.

Comment

You're funny, fastpakr. As I said, waste your money. And thanks for your two-bit psychoanalysis.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X