No announcement yet.

Fuel Injection for GS Series Bikes?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even the most modern FI bikes get criticism for jerky throttle response, even with a bucketload of sensors and the R&D department of, say, Honda to solve the problems.
    As has been said, the best compliment fo FI seems to be: "It feels just like carbs".
    If it was so easy that an amateur could do it in their garage, why do all the major bike makers struggle?
    If you've got leaky carb boots, get new carb boots.
    My GS1000 carbs have been rebuilt once in 20 odd years, and get balanced (30 minutes work) every 3 years or so.

That said, if you can come up with a system that offers some advantages (and no disadvantages) over carbs for $300, I'll have one!

Good luck!

Comment

Would be interesting...

Alot of people look at what happened with the carb -> EFI transition on cars (Take an old Camaro with the stock QuadraJet vs a newer model with TPI or SFI. Big difference (on essentially the same engine)...), and think 'Why not my bike'?

EFI is complicated, but if guys are willing to play with custom CAR EFI programs, should be doable for a bike... Of course, it will take an equal knowledge of computer programming as well as mechanical aptitude, and you'll probably want a TBI type system, but...

Comment

Carbs are nice. Especially CV carbs, they dull out throttle responce slightly as to make little changes come slower. (this is why dirtbikes don't generally use CV carbs) The big bike mfgs are immating this behavior with a seccond set of throttles on efi bikes that are servo controled. These provide the dampening.

Dashpots could do the same thing... They did that on brittish cars.

With the efi332 and projects like that you could easily add a servo output to smooth out throttle responce. Or if you wanted to get really kinky you could just run the throttle cable to a rheostat, and use a PIC chip to dampen interpret the analog input, and then output to a servo. And that would allow for smooth throttle responce. And by reading the pic output, instead of the rehostat (analog) input programming the efi would be dead simple.

The biggest advantage I can see with efi is the garunteed start in the morning. No fiddling with a choke, no worries about the petcock positiion. And no need to tweak jetting for altitude or temprature, or humidity.

And potentially 10% more horsepower.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
        X