Carb->Cyl intake boots (GS-850)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb->Cyl intake boots (GS-850)

2 of the boots (#2 & #3) on my 850 are separating from the metal mount-plates...

I've RTVed them back in place, but don't trust this...

Where is a good source for replacement boots?

Has anyone had any luck RTVing boots?

Also, will radiator hose (or similar) work in leiu of factory boots???

About $25 each at http://www.BikeBandit.com

You might check http://www.ronayers.com or your local friendly dealer, but they're about the same price everywhere.

Make sure you get two rights and two lefts, and get the o-rings, too. Replace the stupid %$@#! phillips head screws with stainless allen head bolts, too.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Oh, and using RTV most definitely does NOT work for more than a few hours at a time. It's not resistant to gasoline.

Been there, tried that when I was poor and in college -- I carried a tube of black RTV on my old Kaw for a few months to spackle up the cracked intake boots when the previous layer of RTV cracked and dissolved.

Take care of this quickly, because excess air will cause your bike to run lean and overheat in many interesting, educational and expensive ways.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

JB Weld will work, at least for a while.

Comment

Mine were separating too. I thought they were made that way at first. Wishful thinking, huh?!

I bought them through Ron Ayers, $22 each (GS1000) On this bike all four were the same. It will really help if you can get your hands on a parts fiche CD. Mine shows how many of each are required on the bike, and the pictures are worth 1K words. And some on-line parts places give a discount if you provide the part number...

Did you hear? Replace those intake o-rings! Mine were WAY shot.

Comment

Went the JB-weld route, as the rubber parts were OK, apart from coming off the boots...

Comment

As long as the cracking doesn't go all the way through they're okay. Mine have been that way for years.

Comment

Working...
              X