Can oil weight affect engine temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can oil weight affect engine temp?

i was running 10-40 and didn't have too many over heating problems, i just put 20 in and now after 30 minutes (70-90 degrees) i'm at 320 degrees?

i have a 82 1100e and run quakerstate 20-50semi syn oil. I run around 210* riding hard in 80* temps. as high as 240 in traffic.

I had 10-40 in it to start and noticed a maybe 20* swing in temp.

DO you have a oil cooler, as my bike was fitted with an after market oil cooler, it looks good and is def functional.

If you are running that hot you will fry the engine in a hurry, i would try switching back to 10-40 without a filter change to see if it effects running temp.

I would seriously concider getting a cooler if you dont already have one.

Earth Brown 82 1100e

Comment

Hey Earth,

Tell me more about your oil cooler, where, how, how much, plumbing......tell me as much as you care to type.

Thanks

Comment

Re: Can oil weight affect engine temp?

First off, why in the world would you put 20 weight oil in it when temps are 70-90 F. The bike is not meant to be run on 20 weight oil. If youre running 310F something is terribly wrong. Either your oil cooler isnt plumbed correctly, crudded up and blocked off, your oil filter is old and clogged or you have a lot of debris in your oil system. My 1150 on a 95F day running at 70-80 mph maintains an oil temp of 180-190F. Mobil 1.

Earl

Originally posted by bostrom155
        i was running 10-40 and didn't have too many over heating problems, i just put 20 in and now after 30 minutes (70-90 degrees) i'm at 320 degrees?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

A simple change to a 20W-50 should not make a dramatic difference to oil temps. I think you have other problems related to oil circulation.

20W-50 if anything will run too thick at lower temps as it will not heat up enough. It is a 50 weight oil that acts like a 20W at cold temps. At the temps you mention this should not be a problem.

I run a 15W-60 in colder weather, but my engine is modified and runs hotter than standard (and I don't get oil glass crud). I used to get oil glass build up when the bike was standard at it did not heat up as much. On a standard bike stick with the recommended oil weight for the time of year.

Comment

Speaking of oil temps, my 81 doesn't have any sort of temperature gauge. Can I run one off another year GS?

Has anyone used a cylinder head temp gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by condensr
              Speaking of oil temps, my 81 doesn't have any sort of temperature gauge. Can I run one off another year GS?
              Yes, 1984 to 1986 should fit, but you also have to change the bolted part on the engine that the tempgauge/oilpressuregauge is mounted in.

Comment

here is a link to some pics.....

um i havent had the filter cover off uyet, however i assume the ability to add an oil cooler is there, as i have one...

Basically 2 fittings and some high pressure fuel line plumb the oil to the cooler, it seems to take the edge off the heat, i am a stupid kid and love the curves, so i hit alot of curvy hilly roads and ride it hard and hardly ever go above 210*

there are pics on the second page too....

Kevin aka Earth Brown

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  ......My 1150 on a 95F day running at 70-80 mph maintains an oil temp of 180-190F. Mobil 1.

Earl
                  Earl, are you using the red cap 15W-50 Mobil 1?

BB

Comment

Some info for ya all........

I'm a big fan of Mobil 1. I've used it in my cars for years.

So as soon as I got my GS...... the first thing I did was replace all the fluids. And of course I used Mobil 1 Motor Oil in 10W-40 weight (as recommended by the manual).

But I quickly developed a tiny oil "weep" from the tach cable connection. Nothing big, but very untidy nertheless. So even though there is only 20,000 miles on the bike, I dumped the Mobil 1 and put in Quaker State "High Mileage" oil in 10W-50 weight.

The oil "weep" stopped immediately. And I did not notice any difference in performance or heat.

So if any of you have a small but pesky oil leak, that may be worth a try.

Comment

Yes Simon, thats what I use. When I switched from Castrol 20w50 to Mobil 1, I noticed a 10 deg decrease in oil temp. :-) The only negative from using Mobil 1 is that I have a miniscule oil staining around the valve cover bolt heads that no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get rid of. (probably leaks a 1/2 ounce every 5000 miles.) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Bolder Biker
                      Earl
                      Earl, are you using the red cap 15W-50 Mobil 1?

BB[/quote]
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Yes i do have an oil cooler, i'll check to see if its clogged, ant tips on checking the cooler

Comment

Originally posted by kz
                          Originally posted by condensr
                          Yes, 1984 to 1986 should fit, but you also have to change the bolted part on the engine that the tempgauge/oilpressuregauge is mounted in.
                          Anyone have any more details about this? Has anyone done it? I'm not worried about the sensor that much, just finding the gauges that will fit my bike with minimal modifications..

Comment

Yeah, what he said!!! 8) 8)

I also would like to hear more about the hows, whats and wheres.

PS to Shane.....Why don't you start a new post on this. It will likely get lots of responses. But as it is now, we are currently buried pretty deep in an old post and your question won't be seen by very many people.

Comment

Working...
                            X