Welp...looks like I've done it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welp...looks like I've done it again.

Yep....I seriously believe that I could ruin a wet-dream.

Well, I can officially say that I've f*#&^$ up my motorcycle....again.
    I can't figure out what the hell to do.
    If I set the mix screws to 1 turn out with the new exhaust it's too lean (no pickup on throttle till out of mix-screw range). 1 1/2 turns out is too rich....(dying at stoplights and stinky exhaust) :?

So I set it at 1 1/4 turns out and it still seems slightly unwell.
    Plus Cylinder #2 still keeps fouling out for some unexplained reason.
    I'm guessing it's the float valve seat o-ring ....at least that's what i'm praying it is.
    Cause if it is I'm changing all those lil bitches and doing the carbs again.
    Why oh why did I have to chop off the mufflers...
    I'll drop the needles back to the #3 clip (from top) position if all else fails.
    *sigh*
    I feel like a cracked egg...

Oh...Pods, stage-3 kit with 122.5 mains, needles at posn #4 from top, punched out H-D exhaust clamped on headers.

Fouling on #2 is the classic sign of a bad petcock diaphragm -- the vacuum line that opens the petcock is connected to the #2 intake. If the diaphragm is bad, it will leak gas into the vacuum line.

Get that sorted, and the rest should fall into place. You'll never be able to sync the carbs or get the thing to idle right with random bits of extra gas plopping into the #2 intake. If it gets really bad, it could fill the crankcase with gas.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

However I do believe that Detman has traded in his vacume petcock for a pingle unit, thus this wouldn't be his problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong Detman.

Amos

Comment

You're right BigRed.

no more crapass vacuum for me.

Any other suggestions?

Dm of mD

Comment

Not that it would cause it to foul or your symptoms, in fact I would think it would lean it out, but to the point.

Did you plug the vacume line that comes from carb 2 that actuates the vacume petcock?

Amos

Comment

did you seal off the vacuum tube to #2? I don't know if it would matter, just a random guess... otherwise helpless, sorry!!

Comment

Yes, vacuum on #2 has been capped. How tightly does the cap have to fit?
              It could be leaking and causing #2 to foul out because of something not understood by me.

:?
              Dm of mD

Comment

it was just a thought on my part, if it was leaking I bet it would run lean if anything... too much air and not enough suction on the gas.

I have to admit before you listen to much more outta me that all I really had to do oin my bike was pull the carbs and clean them really well, not even disassembling them... just for credentials sake!!

Comment

It's okay dude, it turns out that even though I punched out the baffles on these new h-d mufflers they still are more restrictive than my stock swiss-cheese exhaust that the bike's carbs were set up to use.

It's so funny, mufflers with the baffles punched out have more restriction than my swiss-cheese stock exhaust with rust holes galore.

I will have to find a way to punch these mufflers out even more.
                  Or fit some other mufflers that REALLY have more flow through.
                  But unfortunately thanks to the females in my life I'm not going to have time to do this till next weekend.
                  *sigh*
                  I really need to cut some people outta my life. They're taking up my bike time damnit!! :x

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                  X