Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 1982 GS 1100E Owner, Help, No horn on the bike....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 1982 GS 1100E Owner, Help, No horn on the bike....

Hello Guy's and gals. My name is Tom and I?m from St Louis, MO. I just brought home a beautiful 82 GS 1100E. The bike has 6300 original miles and has been very well maintained. It looks like it just rolled of the showroom floor. Can you tell I?m excited? The guy even had the Cycle and Motorcyclist magazines with the GS 1100E on the covers from 1982. Reading those reviews was a hoot. On the cover of Cycle it reads "Undisputed Superbike King"

My original plan was to buy a GS to build a S/C or T/G dragbike but after picking this one up I decided it's just to nice to cut up and go racing. She's gonna stay on the street. I may end up selling this one and going racing in the fall.

I need to get the bike inspected and I?m sure it will need a horn. I pushed the button last night and guess what. NO horn. Today I took the seat and tank off to check any connections, fuse?s, ect and I couldn?t even find a horn. I'm assuming it?s supposed to be under the tank where they are on most bikes but there is not one on here. Am I correct in the location that this thing should be?

I also saw 3 or 4 dual wire connectors wrapped around the wire harness going up the backbone. I guess one of them could/should be for the horn. Any ideas here? Where do I get a horn?

Thanks In Advance,

Tom from STL

The bike came stock with two horns mounted just below the forward end of the fuel tank. The plugs are 2 wire and have a dual female spade type end on the harness. JC Whitney has horns here

or maybe bikebandit.com. Do a search on this site for horns because somebody made a post about aftermarket horns several months ago. The horns that came stock on my bike are black. How much did you pay for the bike and what color is it? Is it all stock?
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

I beleive the horn on those may be mounted on the frame in the front part of the bike near and above the exhaust pipes.

If it's like my 82 GS850G it's round with louver type openings on it.

BTW.....I lived in ole STL for 20 years (Webster Groves, The Delmar Loop, South STL off Loughborough and finally in St Charles county. Man I do not miss that nasty heat and humidy. After 20 years I figured it was like that everywhere.....THAT IS DEFINATELY NOT TRUE.

Hope that helps

Comment

Hey Pano, It Suzulki's Deep Red. It's all stock except for a pipe and drop-in K&N air filter. It had a Buell fairing on it which I removed. I got a pretty fair price on a bike in this condition.

more pic's are here. http://webpages.charter.net/tgrooms/My%20New%20Bike/

Glen, It does get a little stuffy around here, LOL. Im actually in O'Fallon

Comment

I last lived on Dorchester, just north of Mexico and a little east of K.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and take this opportunity to install a pair of Fiamms. You'll need to install a relay for those horns since they draw more current than the original horns. It's well worth the small amount of effort and cash.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff, Where do I get the Fiamms? Where and how do I mount and wire them?

Comment

Your bike is just like mine, I have had mine since 1984, great bike. Like gcastig wrote, the horns are mounted one on each of the front frame tubes just beneath front of the gas tank. If I had a camera handy I would take a pic and post but I don't.
                1982 GS1000S Katana
                1982 GS1100E

Comment

I opted for Fiamms. I'll sell you my stock horns if you want. Email me.

The Fiamms can be found here:

Michael

Comment

I'm sure you got the idea already.

But another GS member was posting about an oil cooler and by pure coincindence one of his pictures show the two round horns horns clear as day.

cya l8r

Comment

Oh ya, I defiantly don?t have any horns mounted their and the wires in the picture hooked up to the horns are the ones I found wrapped around the wire harness under the backbone. Thanks for the pic Glen, good find.

Is there a decent aftermarket motorcycle horn that I could wire in (and maybe find localy) ? I really dont want to go through the hassle of wiring a relay all the way back to the battery.

Comment

I can tell you that the stock horns are definately pretty wimpy. At one point I only had one working and it made a quacking sound similar to a wounded duck.

Now with both of them working it still sounds like a duck, but a slighly healthier one. But it definately will not wake anybody up. Except maybe another duck...LOL

I remember the vehicle inspections there very well (and the Personal Property Tax nightmares, YUK). Anything that makes ANY sound will likely pass, but if you can find an aftermarket one that's easy to install it would be wise to go that way. Aren't there some bike salvage yards in North St Charles, down by the river???? There might be a few over in Ferguson too.

Or better yet, start a new post with a "New Subject" in the subject line asking about aftermarket horns and you'll likely get plenty of good leads.

Comment

Originally posted by LeasingGuy
                          Thanks Jeff, Where do I get the Fiamms? Where and how do I mount and wire them?
                          After searching around on the web I wound up getting them at a local auto parts retailer (Kragen). I went with the flat disc type; cost around $15 each for the high and low horns plus another $10 for the relay. They can also be found at JCWhitney - http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101

I mounted mine in the same spot that the stocks were mounted. As far as wiring goes, I put the relay in the headlight bucket and attached it to the wires coming out of the horn switch. The other two wires went to the battery positive terminal and to the horn itself. I grounded the horn to the frame.

Good luck

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X