Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Boots and Shocks

1981 GS550T, 16,000 miles.

Want to change my back shocks - have the replacements- is it something I can do myself? Any special tools required? Need to check chain tension after? Any other advice? Same info need for choke cable (except for the chain tension

on an unrelated note:

What size/type of spark plug boots would fit my bike?

Thank You!

I am not familiar with your bike, but a general rule is that no special tools are required. You need a wrench that fits the nuts/bolts on YOUR bike. If you see even a trace of rust on them, use a penetrating-type oil on them and let it sit for several minutes before touching them with a wrench.

(Wrench size is an unknown....somewhere in the first 20 years a prior owner may have switched nuts/bolts to suit immediate needs...mine came with a host of different nuts..larger, smaller, domed, open, self-locking, but all to fit the same size bolt)

Put the bike on the centrestand first, and do one side at a time.

Be sure you have the correct bushings to go with the new shocks.

Doubtful you will need to do anything with the chain, but you may as well check it and lube it while you have the bike up on the stand.

I'll let someone else guide you with the boots.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I just had mine off because I built a cargo frame for my bike and had no troubles. Be sure to keep track of the washers as they space everything out properly and do not disassemble the shock as you may end up dead.
      While reassembling note to have both adjusters facing the same direction. You'll have to lift the swing-arm an inch or so to make it fit. Then you can check the chain tension since You're already on the centre stand.

Steve

Comment

as to plug caps somewhere in the forum it was said to use NGK XB05F and VB05F don't remember which # was short one or which # was the long one

Comment

Working...
        X