Where is the power band on a stock 80gs1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the power band on a stock 80gs1000e

Just curious, at what rpm does my stock 80gs1000e make the most power and at what rpm should I shift if under heavy acceleration? Anybody know?

Just my opinion. For the best quarter mile times, The stock cam settings, on most GS's, like for the bike to be shifted a couple of hundred rpm. past redline. I'm not recommending it, just telling what worked for me 20 years ago.

Comment

According to this: http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS1000.shtml your peak power is at 8000 rpm. Peak torque is at 6500 rpm. They don't have a graph for that bike.

Michael

Comment

If peak power is at 8000rpm and peak torque is at 6500rpm then shift between the two points, closer to 8000 if pushing it.
        Dink

Comment

No, if peak power is at 8000rpm then you need to shift above that, if you don't then you'll be bogging in the next gear. How much above depends on the individual gear ratios.

Comment

Hmmm...... thanks for the info, I cannot remember where the redline is from memory on the actual tach display. I think while experimenting that I felt the power rush start to let off the closer to the redline I got. I thought that perhaps it was fuel starvation but carbs were just totally cleaned and synched. The max torque being at 6,500 would explain why I felt it let off just as I get closer to that redzone around 8,000 right?

I will experiment some more tonight. Shifting between the 6,500 and 8,000 and also after 8,000.

Comment

You will definitely feel acceleration fall off after peak torque. The issue however is that power continues to increase through peak hp. Only when engine speed crosses peak hp do you reach a point where a decrease in engine speed (increase in gearing) would provide greater acceleration than the gearing you're currently applying. However, for some distance above peak hp, the amount that it decreases with increasing rpm will be less than the amount you will gain by jumping to the next gear. A closer gear spacing will allow you to shift sooner after peak hp than wider gear spacing.

OK, so I just reread that and it's not written well at all. Not sure how to explain it better though?

Comment

Working...
              X