Engine noisy after oil change…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noisy after oil change…

I recently bought an 82? GS650GL. I changed the oil after several rides and the engine has gotten noticeably noisier (rattling). The recommended amount of oil was added and there are no leaks. Does anyone have ideas on why this may be?

If you look through the oil window, is the level visable? Sometimes simply adding the recommended amount will not quite top it off. Did you change the oil filter? Do you have an aftermarket oil cooler? Was the bike ridden a lot prior to your buying it?

Comment

The oil window indicates that there is the correct amount in it. The filter was changed. The bike does not have an oil cooler on it and I suspect that the bike had been sitting for a while.

Comment

If its been sitting and you're just now bringing her back to riding and working her out, perhaps your cam chain tensioner needs to be reset. Take it off, lubricate it and reset it. You'll need to pull the carbs off to do it but that's not a big deal after you've done it once. Very easy!

My 77gs550 had been sitting a lot until I got it and had developed the same problem. I was riding it a lot and it got progressively noisier. After reseting the tensioner and lubricating/cleaning it the engine quieted right down and now sounds great. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X