'82 GS1100E idiot lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS1100E idiot lights

How do I get the battery and headlight idiot lights to turn off without digging into the light panel and pulling plugs/wires? Both my headlight and charging system work just fine.

If you're absolutely sure that your charging system is 100% within spec, I'd say you have some bad contacts somewhere, quite possibly in the headlight socket. Take some contact cleaner to it.

Michael

Comment

On my 81 1100e the battery light and headlight warning stayed on also. I had low beam burn't out so replaced it, light went out. My 1100 has a wire feeding a probe which senses the water level in battery, removed it, cleaned off the crud, added water and the light went out also. Been fine since.

Comment

On my "85" 1150 the battery light & the headlight light seem to be working together. Both of them sometimes try to come on, always at the same time. Switching from low to high or high to low beam, will fix the problem for a little while, then it starts again. Some days it won't do it at all, but other days it will do it all day long. The tail light warning was coming on last year, I couldn't figure it out, so finally I took the bulb out. When this gets a little worse, I'll probably take these bulbs out too. I don't want to, I would like to keep everything working & original, but I can't figure it out, & haven't found anyone else who can.

Comment

On my "85" 1150 the battery light & the headlight light seem to be working together. Both of them sometimes try to come on, always at the same time. Switching from low to high or high to low beam, will fix the problem for a little while, then it starts again. Some days it won't do it at all, but other days it will do it all day long. The tail light warning was coming on last year, I couldn't figure it out, so finally I took the bulb out. When this gets a little worse, I'll probably take these bulbs out too. I don't want to, I would like to keep everything working & original, but I can't figure it out, & haven't found anyone else who can.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
            Hi rphillips,

My GS1150 has the same problem. Look at the post "1150 Monitoring unit removal " in Tips and Tricks. What's going on is the monitoring unit is flipping out. If you have the Suzuki manual, they have a test to check it. If you don't have one I could email a copy of the test chart. JD has found a way to get around the unit. The only lights that seem to be a problem is Tail Light, Battery Light, and Head Light warning lights. From what JD says in his post is everything else is still operational after the modification. If I knew how to grab a link to the post I'd add it to my reply. Your best bet is to search for it. By the way, I went to price one out from Suzuki, and they run about $350 CAN for a new one. The work around seems the best bet to me. Some day soon I'm going to take the tank off and see what the plugs look like and try to find a mate to them so the job is neat.

As for the GS1100E, I can't help you RJ. You should try to search the forum as well.

Good luck and let me know what you find out.

Comment

You're pretty much stuck with the battery light, unless you disable it. The headlight warning light may be due to a short somewhere. Do you have a wiring diagram to work with? If not, I could scan one from my manual & send it to you. Wouldn't be able to get that done until next week, but I can do it if it'll help.
              JP
              1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
              1992 Concours
              2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
              2007 FJR

Comment

Here's a link to the post about the "1150 monitioring unit removal":

It's quite informative.

Comment

Idiot lights

Thanks to all you guys who took the time to answer my questions. Sounds like I've got some good info to work with. Now it's just a matter of getting off my ass and getting after it.

Comment

Working...
                  X