igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

igniter

Hello everyone, if you recall my problem on the 1983 GS 750 E, that was not firing on #2 and #3 cylinders, and the Tach needle was collapsing.
    I got many ideas, starting from the fuel starvation, coil failur, and wireing damage somewhere on the line.
    Well, I replaced the coils, did not resolve the problem, I checked the wires, everything looked fine. Someone told me is the Pulsing coil which is that is part of the signal generator, I checked the resistance on the plug outlet, they read fine. Finally I went and replaced the Igniter unit. Now the bike runs like before.
    I like to thank everyone who responded, to my problem, more or less you guys were all on the same wave lenght.
    What I want to know is; I had a 1988 Range Rover, the computer failed on the car, the new computer was over $ 1000.00 dollares, I sent it to a company in UK. they rebuilt the box for $400.00 dollars and made it like new. I am wondering if they can fix CDI boxes, after all they are resistors and diods, and transistors, if they can check and find the dammaged piece cant they fix it? I am curious to know.

Ard

Ard I took my ignitor apart to see whether anything was visibly wrong with it by just prying the board out of the cover. This particular 83gs750e had sat in the rain for three years...and the ignitor was filled with water as it was hanging upside down from it's wires, so the putty type material that was holding the board into the bottom of the cover was kind of decayed.

If this hadn't been the case I think one would have to use a dremel to locate and grind away the case to release the board on the inside. Mine was not epoxied in as I believe some are. It was pretty obvious once the board was out that an electronics person would be able to repair it if it were not working.

So my opinion is that yes, someone with time skill and knowledge could repair an ignitor providing that any damaged components were labelled or somehow identifiable. The main thing is to get it reassembled so that the board is supported within the cover on all four corners. By the way...the ignitor was and is fine.

S.

Comment

Most of the time --burn't resistors bad transistors and NO way to identify them for repair

Comment

not GS but...

Comment

Nice article worth keeping.
          No where in the article do they say what transistors are used or any type of parts list

Comment

Yes I have heard that sometimes parts are not labelled inside these boxes. All the components had labels in mine, and it actually looked fairly straighforward....way less complicated that the one in the 'vision' article'.
            I guess I should have drawn it before I reassembled it.
            S.

Comment

Working...
            X