How to break in new (recon) engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to break in new (recon) engines

Contraversial topic. This guy has some interesting things to say on this and other performance subjects.

I agree, go or blow out of the driveway. Rev it to 9500 and dump the clutch.

Comment

I agree mostly as I have done 3 complete rebuilds on my 83'GS750ED (all by choice). Valvoline 10w-40-First oil change at 50 miles, second at 500 miles and third at 1500 miles, then synthetic. Do not baby, but load up the rings under acceleration and bathe the cylinder walls with oil under decelleration. Worked for me so far with good results. 180-190 psi per cylinder stock bore and 210 psi big bore on comp check. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

we break in aircraft engines by running them for 30 seconds then shut it down and check for oil leaks before we cowl it up then push it over to the entrance to taxiway(leads to runway) and radio the tower before firing it up again, taxi to runway, do a runup, takeoff, and run it balls to the wall for a couple hours. so pretty much what that was saying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyguy
          we break in aircraft engines by running them for 30 seconds then shut it down and check for oil leaks before we cowl it up then push it over to the entrance to taxiway(leads to runway) and radio the tower before firing it up again, taxi to runway, do a runup, takeoff, and run it balls to the wall for a couple hours. so pretty much what that was saying to do.
          That's the same thing a Teledyne-Continental rep told a bunch of us at an FAA pilot safety meeting in Lex years ago...but I believe his technical term was aaaahh 'full throttle'! :roll:

Comment

Working...
          X