bike wreck: rebuild or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike wreck: rebuild or replace?

i managed to wreck my 80 gs1000e. there's a managable amount of minor damge: headlight and bucket, guages, handlebars etc. but i'm worried about the crankshaft. primary hit smashed the timing assembly and part of the block the cover bolts to. the timing plate and pick-up coils as well as the flyweights are destroyed. the crank bolt (bolt securing the timing tone ring to the crank) bent and snapped. the crank threads are undamaged. is that bolt designed to break in order to keep from bending the crank in just this kind of scenario?

the secondary hit smacked a nice hole in the clutch cover draining all the oil. i'm thinking since the timing assembly went first the bearing shouldn't have been starved for oil too long.

should i scrounge up the required parts and see if the thing runs or am i better off trying to replace the engine?

also, the forks aren't obviously bent. is there a good way to make sure? same question for the frame and swingarm.

thanks,
    Scott

Try to get it running first They are acutally quite durable Even if the case is damaged a competent welder can fix it good as new. The crank is 1000 times stronger than the broken bolt

Comment

I'd be careful of hidden damage. If you can make sure the frame and other structural components are OK, then I'd agree with Lynn. Maybe you could find a parts bike.

Comment

Two concerns for the engine alone:

The crank thrust bearing (and related bosses) must have taken quite an impact.

How many little pieces of aluminum were cast into the rotating bottom end after the clutch cover broke into pieces? How many are in there waiting to ruin your day the next time you're running the engine?

Comment

Well you are luckier than I am; on the way home on Sunday going through some snow and ice the wheel slipped (winter here). The bike fell on to the right hand side wiping out the whole ignition system (Dyna system bought six months ago) and the broke off the end of the crankshaft. To make it worse I've just had a new set of rings installed, the valves done, and a new cam chain fitted.

Hope that makes you feel better

Comment

What Lynn said, if that pans out then you know it's worth your time to fix up the rest of the bike. Otherwise it is a parter.

From what you've said I gotta think it is fixable.

Comment

two words:
              case guards! don't leave home without them!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                two words:
                case guards! don't leave home without them!
                Hey man, that's seven words! Although they will save the case, they are ugly as sin! 8)

Comment

Working...
                X