Fork Psi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Psi

My front forks are quite soft even with the anti-dive system. I've put some air in them today, just wanted to get opinions as to how many psi is a good measure. In the Haynes for my model (E) it says N/A. For other models such as the ES ESD etc, it says 4.1 psi. Wanting to know if theres a recommended psi I should use

Thanks

Try getting the preload set up right for your weight then play with the air. To get the preload right you need to check the sag. That's the difference between the length of the fork fully extended and the length with the bike on the ground with your weight in the seat. Shoot for 1 1/2" for a soft,supple ride and 1" for a stiffer, more aggressive ride. You can use 3/4" id PVC tubing for spacers on top of the springs with a large fender washer between the spring and the spacer.

Comment

Great Idea, thanks a lot I'll give that a try, let you know how it works. Can I/Will I still need to use air?

Comment

You'll probably need to run a little air. If you go with Progressive Suspension springs you don't run any air. You might want to think about flushing the old fork oil and going with 15 weight instead of the stock 10 weight. Fork oil changes are one of the most overlooked maintenance items on most bikes. You would be surprised how bad it gets.

Comment

I agree that fork maintenance is overlooked a lot. The oil in the forks of the 850 I just brought back to life was a dark gray in color. I'm pretty sure it was the original oil. One fork had 3 lbs of pressure, the other had 0 (zero!). The previous owner had been riding the bike like that. I had the forks reconditioned by my local dealer for $97, and feel it was money well spent--at least it's nice to know for sure that the forks are in good condition. The bike rides pretty well.

If you don't already have one, an air pump made for forks is a good tool to have. They're about $45 at www.denniskirk.com.

Comment

An excellent way of inflating the forks is by using a portable air tank. That way, you avoid trying to put the chuck to the air fitting for a split second & measure, etc, etc. Just inflate the air tank to the pressure you want in your forks, attach an air chuck to the tank and hold the chuck to the fork fitting.

The tiny amount of air the first fork leg takes will have a negligible effect on the tank pressure; just repeat with the second fork leg, and you're done. It's about a jillion times more controllable. As a bonus, you get the utility of the air tank.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr
              An excellent way of inflating the forks is by using a portable air tank. That way, you avoid trying to put the chuck to the air fitting for a split second & measure, etc, etc. Just inflate the air tank to the pressure you want in your forks, attach an air chuck to the tank and hold the chuck to the fork fitting.

The tiny amount of air the first fork leg takes will have a negligible effect on the tank pressure; just repeat with the second fork leg, and you're done. It's about a jillion times more controllable. As a bonus, you get the utility of the air tank.
              A very much good idea!!

Comment

Well I do have a air compressor and the forks were just done. NOt too sure what oil rating is in there but its new! I put 20 psi in both forks using a digital psi meter. Seems to be good. Got the forks the way I like em. Thanks for the replys

Comment

Working...
                X