Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs info '83 GS 750E

Hi all,
    Becuase of this site, I bought an'83 GS 750 E off e-bay (couldn't find one anywhere locally - for my budget). Needless to say I was very nervous. Bike came and of course it's not in as near of good shape as he told me in my 100 e-mailed questions...... Live and learn.

I have a few questions and know this is the place to look.
    1. The exhaus is rusty as heck. I've bought black grill paint. I found 1 of the exhaust bolts is broken flush to the head. Ugh. It runs great, so I just want to ride for a while. Going to leave the exhaust on and sand as much as I can and paint it right on the bike. Is there any problems you see with this?
    2. Changed the oil immediately and put in 20W - 50 Penzoil. Live in florida and told this was a good weight. Agree? (Don't want to start the Synthetic debate again - I change regularly)

3. Missing the side reflectors on the side of the rear panel. Can't seem to find them online? Don't know of a salvage near me?

4. Is there supposed to be a cover over the rear brake caliper assembly?

5. Missing the center stand. Looks like the stock exhaust. Know where I can find one?

6. Don't have a manual yet, know what plugs and gap should be?

7. Speedo doesn't work. Ordered a cable from denniskirk.com. Any tricks to replacing? Never tried before.

8. Isn't the brake light supposed to come on when just the fron brake is activated? Works only with the rear brake.

Wow. I don't know crap do I?

Anyway, It's not as bad as it seems. It runs great and all the electronics work (except maybe the front brake light switch). My other bike was an '85 650 Night Hawk, it was a really nice bike, but the GS seems to handle better
    From what I've read here, these motors really hold up. This thing doesn't smoke a bit, or leave friendly drips in my garage. I look forward to chatting here and sharing stories. I've had this for 1 1/2 days and already been in rain and sun and fun and about 150 miles. Today she rests and gets the TLC she's been missing.......

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

1) Paint won't stick to the exhaust, it is black chrome. I have a stock chrome exhaust from my 700 which is the same motor, just destroked, if you need one.

2) As long as it isn't an oil with anti-friction additives it isn't a problem. The anti-friction additives are bad for the clutch. If the clutch doesn't slip when accelerating hard you should be okay.

3) Someone else will know of boneyards in your area. 700 parts are the same and I believe there might be some of the reflectors you need on Ebay for a 700. Search under GS700.

4) It should have a cover but isn't necessary. I may have one lying around.

5) I think the guy with the 700 parts on Ebay had a centerstand listed.

6) .024-.028"

7) No big deal. Just unscrew it from the speedo and screw the new one on. Same at the wheel.

8) Brake light should work when either brake is applied. Look under the front lever. You'll see where the switch wires go in. Lossen the two screws and try adjusting it. If that doesn't work go with a hydraulic switch. Check the Product Review section for more info.

Enjoy, they are great bikes.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. The exhaust IS painted, so maybe it's not the stock? Just by looking at the gallery I saw some similar, so assumed it was stock. Also there were other forums mentioning black hight tem paint. Anyway, it won't be perfect but should look alot nicer when done.

I made sure the oil wasn't the kind with the additives. At least it didn't say anything on the container.

I was fairly sure the front brake had a switch. I sold my nighthawk bout 3 years ago, so a little rusty yet.

The center stand is low on my list, but I would like to get the reflectors as there are 2 holes on both sides of the rear side fender.

Know what plugs this takes off hand? I'm sure Autozone would have them. What kind of plugs do you use? Bosch, champion.........?

Thanks for the help. Whatever you may have laying around, pm me and we'll talk.

Just saw rear reflectors on e-bay for an '85 GS 700, would these fit an '83 GS 750? Starting bid is $10 with $ 4.50 S/H. Sounds kind of high to me?

He also has front reflectors for the '85 700, I'm missing 1 front side reflector. Would it fit? Also, starting bid is $10 with $ 4.50 S/H. This sounds kind of high also?

Thanks.

Comment

I have a brand new front reflector still in the package. The stock plugs are NGK D8EA or Nippon Denso X24ES-U. The rear 700 reflectors will fit and that is a decent price considering what OEM cost.

Comment

Excellent bike-do you have the silver/blue or red/black. Billy is the guru on these bikes and will steer you in the right direction. Ride On, Ed
          1983 GS750ED
          2001 TL1000S (for sale)

Comment

oldschoolGS,
            It's been repainted (as I was told) it's all black. Question: what should the lettering look like? The "SUZUKI" is light grey and the "GS 750" on the side panels is only outlined (kind of faded) and the "E" is red. Just curious? I would like to try and get this original someday.....

Bill,
            I see the wires for the front brake lever, but don't see any adjustment? should I just check the contacts for voltage? Looks like the switch is sort of inside a cable?

Also, she has just got her 1st bath and I see water inside the speedo/tach lens. This is florida and it will dry quickly. Should I be concerned? It also appears that the cluster isn't totally secure. It seems to "Float" around? I can move it and slightly lift it up a bit. This doesn'nt seem right. My nighthawk wasn't like this. Sound normal? I promise to get a manual ASAP, but just wondering how hard it is to take the cluster and the shield around it off. As stated before, I just want to ride the crap out her right now. It's been toooooooo long........

This bike IS really fun to ride. Thankfully she is running strong. Everything else will eventually get taken care of. Consider this a Rescued GS!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The guages are meant to move a bit to resist being jolted around. They are rubber mounted. Don't worry about the water in the guages, it happens. In the future cover the guages with plastic wrap or something to keep from soaking them.

There is an oblong cover over the contacts for the front switch. It is held on by two small screws. Loosen those screws to make the adjustment.

Comment

Bill
                I took the 2 screws for the front brake switch out, the whole switch came out. There is no activating lever. It appears to be a slot where a lever should ride, but it's not there. I heard something fall out. I'm really not a total idiot, I'm pretty sure the switch is broken. I can handle this simple enough.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Comment

There should be a T shaped piece of plastic that fits into the brake lever. A small spring fits into the T and a U shaped copper piece that arcs the contacts on the switch. The easiest solution is to pick up one of the hydraulic switches that replaces the banjo bolt on the master cylinder. Check the Product Review section for info on it.

Comment

Ok, I'm back to being ignorant. Where do I find the product review area?

FYI: I sanded and painted the exhaust, I changed the plugs (thanks Bill) all 4 were very clean> Cool......wew, ran good, but I was nervous :roll:

This thing really rocks. It kicks some butt.....what a blast to ride........ :twisted:

Comment

The product review section is located in the forum index just above this section.

Comment

Here's the thread about the switch, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=21717.

Comment

Dave, I have the 4-page Suzuki sale brochure for the 1983 GS750E and ES if you would like to see the original color scheme. If you send me your e-mail address by PM, I will send you the scan files.

BB

Comment

new gs750es owner too

they are a great bike got mine 6 weeks ago having a charging problem
                            that i cant get a handle on when ya get a chance in time i put a yoshamera pipe and have it jetted to match wow you will be impressed
                            it must be nice to ride year round i only get about 7 mts up here in ont.
                            canada there are alot of gs750s in the wreckers up here not haard to send parts down???? well stay between the lines darryl

Comment

All the info is good I would use 10/40 oil thats what is recomended by the factory, I use reg old castrol 10/40. I live in So cal so we have lots of hot weather also I have used 20/50 it causes the clutch to drag when the bike is cold. That big clunk when you put it in gear is hard on the transmission

Comment

Working...
                              X