Suzuki GS450 Gearbox Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS450 Gearbox Issue

I just got a Suzuki GS450 TXZ (1982) and when I put it into gear and let the clutch out, nothing happens. It says first on the dash and I hear the "clunk" of it going into gear but letting the clutch out nothing happens. I tried it in 2nd and the same thing happened. When I try to wheel it in 1st gear it wheels freely. Weird. Anyways, when I bought it yesterday it worked and rode fine.

Any ideas?

maybe you dont have a clutch plate? did you get it from a salvage yard? or more possible, the cable is broken somehow and is not re-engaging the clutch. but whatever it is, it sounds like a clutch problem. somehow there is no connection from your final drive to your clutch. possibly the chain broke, but somehow i'd think you notice. either way, you could take cover off, left side i think, and see whats going on in there. good luck

Comment

I'm kinda thinking... if you pull the cable in to release pressure from the plates, then a broken cable would keep the clutch plates pressurised all the time, thus making the bike impossible to start in 1st gear, and it would move right away when kicked into gear.

It doesn't sound like transmission related... I'd strictly guess kinda like wut ya said, broken clutch plate(s)... he said it had been working before...

and is the clutch on the left side on those little GS 450's?

i know my 86750es has it on the right side...

Comment

impossible to start in 1st gear
        Uh, i mean dangerous to start in 1st gear..

Comment

Originally posted by rongant
          I'm kinda thinking... if you pull the cable in to release pressure from the plates, then a broken cable would keep the clutch plates pressurised all the time, thus making the bike impossible to start in 1st gear, and it would move right away when kicked into gear.

It doesn't sound like transmission related... I'd strictly guess kinda like wut ya said, broken clutch plate(s)... he said it had been working before...

and is the clutch on the left side on those little GS 450's?

i know my 86750es has it on the right side...
          :P LITTLE :P

Its on the side with the rear brake, not the shifter (I always get confused if its as you are stitting on it, or looking at it from the front)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like a broken clutch plate from what you fellas are telling me.

Comment

Most likely a STUCK clutch or clutch pushrod...

Take the clutch cover (the one with the oil fill cap) off, and dis-assemble the clutch basket...

Clean everything, put it back together, install a new gasket if needed & you should be good...

Comment

Thanks guys. very helpful sight, this. The GS450 was really fun to ride for the first day I had it at least.

Comment

ahh yeah, right side, sorry, the last bike i took apart was a norton, thus being crazy and british. i'll try to remember what side of the pond i'm on from now on.

Comment

So, i took the little cover off the clutch adjustment on the left hand side of the motor. I loosened the nut and backed out the turn screw in the middle of the nut and then tightened the nut back up and it now works fine!

Thanks to you all!

Comment

I don't know alot, but on my 450 the clutch push rod is under that cover. I would remove the cover and at least check out the push rod and make sure it moves a bit. Mine slides about an inch-inch and a half. I have heard of these becoming bent. Should also check the seal arround the push rod for signs of leaking. Mine leaked when I got the bike and I could tell it had been replaced at least once before. If you find you have a bum seal, now or any time in the future don't be affraid to shoot me any questions, I just got through replacing mine. Just remember if you ever have to order a push rod seal and they offer you a flanged or non flaged...pick the non flaged type for easier replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X