good tire or peice of crap....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good tire or peice of crap....

or should i stick with bridgestone spitfire st11???

I have a k591 dunlop but they are a pita to find.....and i am gonna have it gone in another 1000 miles, it is sticky but if i get 1500 total it will be a miricle.

Kevin aka earth Brown

the 591 was replaced by the GT501, which i have on my gs11e, but that is still a dunlop at a great price

Comment

It's a cruiser tire. Wrong profile for sport riding.

Comment

I would say piece of crap. I believe in the Michelin man theory: "because your life is riding on it" I will not go cheap on rubber and strongly advise anyone to stay away from cheap tires. One crash and you will pay tenfold the price of buying Dunlop's. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Piece o' schitt. The bridgestone spitfire rear is a slipping, sliding piece of dog schitt also. The front is good though.

Comment

Don't buy a cruiser tire for a sporty bike. I am living (sliding) with this problem currently. Lean too far....whoops there goes the rear end again!

You don't want that problem.

8O
            Dm of mD

Comment

what size 501 for the rear, they seem to be hard to find in suitable sizes, via web.

Is this due to the supplyers only selling certain sizes, or dont they make a 130 90 or 130 80 17?

Comment

These are about your best bet. http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/ It's getting harder and harder to find tires to fit GS wheels.

Comment

OK, the link doesn't take you to the right page. Click on tires at the top of the page then go through the menu and click on BT45. They come in just about every size you could need.

Comment

Originally posted by bostrom155
                    the 591 was replaced by the GT501, which i have on my gs11e, but that is still a dunlop at a great price
                    I second that. The GT501 is so good on the GS of any size that it almost seems like they made the tire just for the GS. Sticks to the road really nice, good wear and low cost yet high quality. There are other good tires too and even better ones at higher cost like the Metzler's (which are worth every penny) but that Dunlop is the best deal I have found to replace my now discontinued K591's.

I run the GT501 on my 550 Kaw too and it sticks like glue even on a lighter bike. The heavier bikes just push it into the road even better.

Comment

The 591's were great tires-they dominated Supersport racing in the late 80's and were always reasonably priced. If the 501 is anywhwere close it should be a great tire. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                        It's getting harder and harder to find tires to fit GS wheels.
                        True. Try to find a 120X17 REAR tire made by a major manufacturer. Even the early Concours has only a couple of choices for front radials.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                          The 591's were great tires-they dominated Supersport racing in the late 80's and were always reasonably priced. If the 501 is anywhwere close it should be a great tire. Ride On, Ed.
                          Right on! As a life time user of both now I can tell you that the two seasons I have been on the 501's my impression is that they are even better than the 591 was. That's what Dunlop had in mind when they made it to.

Comment

I've got a set of 501's on my S.
                            Really great tires.
                            The rear has about 8K miles on it. Will probabaly go another 2K.
                            The front looks new.

I hate to say it put I got them thru MAW for a pretty good priice.
                            I checked Ron Ayers and they have a better price.
                            Might buy the rear now because I have some $$$$.

They hold up well in the rain, ask Pillage.
                            We did about 200 miles in the rain last year and I was right behind him.
                            A little slower, I'm older and wiser now.

At highway+ speeds even 2 up they hold well.
                            Under braking, no issues, very good, no great tire.
                            And they are not radials. Another plus....no "squirming"
                            I had Metzler ME** on my bike and did not like them, too squirmy.
                            The bike never felt planted.

As to finding sizes, I run a 100/90-19 front, 130/80-18 rear.
                            No issues,mounted right up.
                            The other thing was, I didn't have to use a lot of weight on the tires/rims.
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I mounted a BT45 on the rear of the 1150 this past friday and put about 800 miles on it over the past three days with 100 miles or so in the rain.
                              I'm real pleased with it. It only took 1/2 ounce of weight to balance too.
                              :-) So far though, I dont see much difference between it and the Metzler 55 in handling. I decided to try the BT45 because of everyones quotes of milage from them being better than what I was getting on the ME55.

Earl
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X