Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

84 750EF Problems, attempted repairs, still gots problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Checkin' Time!

OKies, gonna try and make some time this weekend in between marking report cards, final projects, mowin' the lawn, drinkin' beers and eatin' steaks to check the valve clearances...

Just a few minor issues before I start pulling things apart:

Got myself a feeler gauge, it's a mini one so the ends are pretty thin. (Read that somewhere on here)

The smallest one says .010/.254mm and the largest is .035/.889mm - I imagine that my valve clearances will need to be closer to the .010 but where exactly? In my shop manual it says 0.09 - 0.13, and that's where I'm confused - or am I just looking at the wrong numbers?

Any hints or tricks I need to know before starting this project?
    Thank ya

Comment

The first number on the guages is in inches and the 0.09-0.13 clearance spec is in mm. Usually the smallest blade is about .001". Clearance should be .004-.005 in inches. Use a 9mm box end wrench on the adjuster locknuts. You have to hold the adjuster with something while you tighten the locknut.

Comment

Bike is toast. Don't ride it and give it to me for disposal.

Comment

BTW: You're going to need a different feeler guage set.

Comment

*blink* I just realized that.
            I kinda figured I got the wrong one. Oh well. Back to the shop I goes!

And the bike still runs there, mopolopo, but if it doesn't once I get it back together I'll let ya know

Comment

Fixed? You tell me!

So, I finally made time to do the valves today. Phew! Took a little longer than I thought in the 35 degree (C) and smoky weather (forest fire nearby :? ) but I got it done.

So, here's what I did: Thanks to all who contributed info to get this done!

Read the shop manual and followed the directions as best I could.

Took off the head cover. There's a rubber gasket in there, nice!
              Rotated the cams so that the notches were out, and lined up the "T".

Checked half the valves, they were all .020 or more. Wowsa.

I didn't have any vice grips or anything, so I tried to do the adjustments with a pair of needle nose pliers - hahah Not doin that again. Went to the hardware store

Did it again with the vice grips and box end wrench, thanks for that it worked a lot nicer! I didn't have any feelers that were between .010 and .015, so I figured that if the .010 fit and the .015 wouldn't get through, that's close enough and still within specs.
              Rotated the cam and checked the others, same deal. All but one were off spec.
              After all the valves were adjusted, I went through them all again and made sure that the lock nuts were good and as tight as I could get them with a box end. Double checked the clearances one more time before I put everything back together.

Fired her up.... no more annoying ticaticaticatica. But, I think it's making some other noises now, not too sure. I was listening more for the valves.

So, According to my calculations, I did that right. I still have a bit of a knock coming from lower down and in the back of the engine, possibly around the clutch area. Someone suggested this might be the clutch basket? And I'm still working on getting the mixture correct for the pipe I've got.
              If I want to richen it, the mixture screws (only ones I've got) go clockwise to richen or counter?

Thanks all for help and advice, you guys rock!

Comment

Counter to richen.

Comment

Wow, that's awesome dude. Thanks for the write-up.
                  I'll use that info when I do mine.

Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah, it has been a great write hasn't it Helped me a lot, that's for sure.

OK So... after valves done, i get a what sounds like a hissing sound coming from the top end of the engine... kind of pulses a bit too. sounds like perhaps something is running drier than need be? i don't particularly think it would be a vacuum leak, I can't see any reason why it would be.

I'm going to pull it apart again tomorrow anyways to check and make sure that all the valves are still in spec and that my bolts are all tight after being run for a couple days.

Anything I should check for?

Comment

Rich or Lean?

Reviving a post from a few months ago rather than starting a new thread...

Rich or Lean?

Trying to diagnose my bike. Supertrapp running three rings at the moment. I read on Supertrapp's site about the rings, more will lean it and give more power in the top end, fewer will run more low end torque and richen.

- With no rings, or one ring, the bike smells really rich and bogs in the high rpms with even moderate throttle.
                      - With 5 or more rings, on 75% of the decelleration the pipe pops.
                      - With 3 rings, pipe still pops but only from 5500 - 4000 rpm.

I've tried adjusting the needles and mix screws for each number of rings, and if I raise the needles and run more rings, it still smells rich. If I remove all the rings and lower the needles, I lose my top end power and it still bogs a bit.

Lastly, I've pulled plug reads several times and they're all brownish, there wasn't a lot of change between the rich and lean conditions. So either I was keeping it in balance as I made my changes, or they weren't as big of changes as I thought.

Basically what I'm asking is if ya'll think it's OK running a little on the lean side, deal with the popping, and maintain a higher top end. Or, is there a way that I can maintain or increase the top end power without running too many rings and therefore a lean condition?

Comment

Working...
                      X