530 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 Conversion

Just some info that might be of help to some of you. I did a 530 conversion on my '78 GS750. I used a JTF-518-17 front sprocket, and a 45 tooth rear. It wasn't a JTF sprocket on the rear, but a JTR-816 should work. If you use those sprockets, the chain will have to be 112 links. This will give you a final drive ratio of 2.65. The stock 15/41 combo gives you a 2.73, but I wanted to lower the revs at highway speeds, so I went with the different ratio. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

530 conversion

mcycle nut,

What swing-arm were you using? I'n planning to do the same conversion but don't want to order a chain that's too short! (done that before! )

Thanks,

Tony.

Comment

Remember the differece in link size=lenght.
      I did the same thing, used about 110-112 links on a 1980 GS1000S with a
      1100 swingarm on it.

I used 2 large washers from the local hardware store.'
      Just be careful the washer doesn't interfere with the chain/sprockets.
      Too big a washer will not allow the chain to fit into the sprocket completely.

Here's the link
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Acceleration

Hey M-C Nut, how much difference have you noticed in acceleration?? It sounds like a nifty idea but I'm a little concerned about that. Thanks!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

My S model, big difference for the better.
          Also quieter.
          Keith
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I'm confused

I'm a little confused about that. If you switch to a smaller rear sprocket, you'll cruise at a lower RPM.....but, that should also reduce acceleration...right??? It's certainly not possible to have both. 8O

Comment

It's a minor change.
              It drops the rev's at highway speeds, but you can always downshift when you need that little extra.

The physical size of the sprockets and chain do make a difference.
              I left the gearing stock on my 1000.
              The acceleration from stop and just overall acceleration is noticable.
              Keith
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Yes

Thanks...yes, I knew there had to be a lack of acceleration performance but I didn't know whether it would be noticeable. :? Sounds like it is....

Comment

Re: Yes

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                  Thanks...yes, I knew there had to be a lack of acceleration performance but I didn't know whether it would be noticeable. :? Sounds like it is....
                  Not really. I had been running almost the same ratio (2.6) with the 630 setup. It's been YEARS since I've run the stock ratio. Actually, I notice a little BETTER acceleration performance, but that's probably due to my carb guru fine tunnig my carbs. Then again, lighter chain and sprocket, less unsprung weight, this equals better acceleration.

Oh yeah, I'm running the stock swingarm. 8)
                  Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

Good

Well, then, it sounds like a good deal all around.

Comment

Chucky,
                      Also cheaper to replace.

the 630 size chain was more $$$ as were the sprockets.

I used a DID o-ring and Sunstar steel sprockets

Chain from a friendly dealer was $69, sprockets were about $65 total.
                      Keith
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Hey Keith -

When you say you used "2 7/8" washers, one on each side to shim the front sprocket" - do you mean 7/8" thick or 7/8" fastener diameter? It will probably be obvious to me once I go to the hardware store but I found the parts books description a little cryptic ("use 6mm washer"). Since I'm using a different rear wheel I'm having too much fun getting everything lined up...

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

Re: 530 Conversion

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                          Just some info that might be of help to some of you. I did a 530 conversion on my '78 GS750. I used a JTF-518-17 front sprocket, and a 45 tooth rear.
                          WoW! this JTF518-17 front sproket isnt made anymore, but is actually showing as using a 630 chain. Can you do that (use 630 sprokets with 530 chain??)

Comment

Re: 530 Conversion

NO you can NOT use 630 sprockets with a 530 chain.
                            the chain will not fit on the sprocket.The sprocket will be too large for the
                            links to fit on the teeth

I used 2---- 7/8" washers on the primary sprocket. One on either side.
                            Lined up fine.

Originally posted by GS750
                            Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                            Just some info that might be of help to some of you. I did a 530 conversion on my '78 GS750. I used a JTF-518-17 front sprocket, and a 45 tooth rear.
                            WoW! this JTF518-17 front sproket isnt made anymore, but is actually showing as using a 630 chain. Can you do that (use 630 sprokets with 530 chain??)

http://www.jtsprockets.com/61.0.html
                            Keith
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

OOOPS! I goofed! I meant to say the front sprocket I installed was a JTF 513-17, NOT a JTF 518-17. Sorry for the confusion!
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X