Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel reserve? What reserve?

Folks,

I was under the impression that the fuel valve on my 450 had 3 positions: run (lever toward the rear), prime (lever down), and reserve (lever to the front). I ran out of gas on the way to work this morning. "No problem!" thinks I, "I'll switch to the reserve!"

No start. I walk the mile+ to the gas station, get a can and a gallon of gas, call a buddy to drive me back, put in the gas, still no start. Switch the valve back to run, starts right up.

Is there a trick to using the reserve? Or could it be I have a clog somewhere? The lever is pretty hard to turn. Is this normal?

Also, it appears I got about 150 miles on a full tank. Is this reasonable for an '82 that's in fair shape?

Dave

do you have a fuel gauge? if so you may not actually have reserve, but it should still get fuel when in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyguy
      do you have a fuel gauge? if so you may not actually have reserve, but it should still get fuel when in that position.
      Nope, no fuel gauge. The valve has RES stamped on the body next to that position.

Dave

Comment

If the in tank filter is missing it will run until it is dry--- NO reserve

Comment

It's also possible that your reserve portion of the petcock is clogged up. I believe this happens if you never use it.

Comment

Sounds like your reserve is clogged....

Take your petcock out (obviously wait till you've got a 1/2 tank of gas or less) & clean the filter...

Comment

Re: Fuel reserve? What reserve?

Originally posted by Hinermad
              Folks,

I was under the impression that the fuel valve on my 450 had 3 positions: run (lever toward the rear), prime (lever down), and reserve (lever to the front). I ran out of gas on the way to work this morning. "No problem!" thinks I, "I'll switch to the reserve!"

No start. I walk the mile+ to the gas station, get a can and a gallon of gas, call a buddy to drive me back, put in the gas, still no start. Switch the valve back to run, starts right up.

Is there a trick to using the reserve? Or could it be I have a clog somewhere? The lever is pretty hard to turn. Is this normal?

Also, it appears I got about 150 miles on a full tank. Is this reasonable for an '82 that's in fair shape?

Dave
              You have your petcock positions off... At least on my 82 450, it's lever-front for reserve, lever back for prime, and straight down for RUN.

150 mi/tank (50mpg) is good for an 82 450. I average 45-55 depending on riding style & traffic conditions for that tank (bike likes 55-65mph in 6th for peak milage, it seems)...

Go clean your in-tank filter & petcock, that should get you (RES) back...

Comment

Re: Fuel reserve? What reserve?

Originally posted by "Dave_A
                You have your petcock positions off... At least on my 82 450, it's lever-front for reserve, lever back for prime, and straight down for RUN.

<snip>

Go clean your in-tank filter & petcock, that should get you (RES) back...
                As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!"

I took a better look at the valve markings and you're right. I've been running on prime all this time. I'll bet prime draws from the reserve, too, right?

I put a whisker less than a gallon in the tank when it ran out this morning and rode it the rest of the way to work. After work I put the valve in the (correct) RUN position. About 5 miles toward home it sputtered off again, but I swung it into RES and it worked again.

Problem solved - thanks!

Dave

Comment

the petcock only has three position (pri) to the rear, (on)toward the ground, And (res) forward. am I missing something ? which is off?

Comment

Their is no OFF when you turn the engine off the vacuum valve closes

Comment

It would be handy if you could post a photo of your petcock. On my 450 petcock (which busted yesterday, leaking a gallon and a half of gas right out the petcock body), there are two positions. Down is run and front is reserve. Vacuum operation is supposed to provide the "off" setting... Anyway, petcocks vary so if we could see it we could tell you how it's supposed to go.

Michael

Comment

PRIME draws from the same spot as 'RUN', IIRC.

There should be gas sloshing around in the tank if you have any 'reserve' left.

You have been running in 'PRIME' though, which means you also may have gas-in-the-oil problems...

CHECK YOUR OIL

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_A
                          You have been running in 'PRIME' though, which means you also may have gas-in-the-oil problems...

CHECK YOUR OIL
                          It's probably due for an oil change anyway, but how would gas get into the oil?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad
                            Originally posted by Dave_A

CHECK YOUR OIL
                            It's probably due for an oil change anyway, but how would gas get into the oil?

Dave
                            1, if your needle valves in the carbs are not seating all the way, the pressure form the gas can cause bowl overflow issues.

2, If the petcock is bad, it will leak gas down the vacuum hose and straight in to your intakes, so it can leak down in to the crankcase.

According to my service manual, PRI should take any fuel in the tank, be it from main or reserve.

Comment

My '80 550L has no reserve, it does haave a gauge though. Two positions and no lever you need a screwdriver to switch between run and prime.

Comment

Working...
                              X