Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS-850: Last 'issue' & all fixed: Oil seeping from gaske

Ok, I've got my 850 back in shape.

It doesn't leak gas. It doesn't run rich or lean. The intake boots are re-glued to their mounts...

I have one issue left.

When running, it seeps oil thru the valve-cover, oil pan, and stator cover gaskets, maybe some other spots too...

This oil, of course, drips on to the exhaust & engine fins, resulting in the ever-famous blue smoke...

The bike DOES NOT burn oil. There is NEVER blue smoke from the exhaust...

However, I need to stop the leaks before I can sell, obviously... While it has no bearing on the mechanical condition, it looks bad & will cost me money off the price...

Any tips?

Oh yeah.. One more thing...

What's good compression for an 850?

I've never checked it because the thing runs great (apart from the oil seepage) -> no flat spots, top speed somewhere well above 85mph (speedo doesn't go higher, but it just keeps pulling. I assume it would go up to the redline, but haven't found enough room to go that fast yet)...

However, I plan on checking the comp to eliminate ring-blow-by as a cause of the oil leaks...

Although I think it's unlikely (as if there were ring problems it would burn oil, which it doesn't), might as well check...

Comment

Check that the breather hose, the one that runs from the motor to the air box is not plugged. It could pressurize the motor and cause oil to be pushed through the gaskets. Just a hunch but easy to check.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy
        Check that the breather hose, the one that runs from the motor to the air box is not plugged. It could pressurize the motor and cause oil to be pushed through the gaskets. Just a hunch but easy to check.
        Happens with or without the hose attached...

Comment

Working...
        X