Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW DO I INSTALL MY CARBS???

hey guys,

where can i find a link to teach or help me put my mikuni carbs on??? i just got a used and fully restored set of mikuni carbs for my 1980 GS 550. They are sweet and in top shape, but i have never put on carbs before. what do i need to do to prep them before putting them on and following that, how do i install them???

Thanx

A case of beer.... Oh, and brush up on the swear word vocabulary.

The 550's carbs are a bear to put on. The few tips I have are to use some type of lube on the boots (silicone or even vaseline). And make sure to hook up the throttle cable before pushing the carbs onto the boots. Having someone who can lend an extra pair of hands is helpful too.

Good luck....

Comment

I think this link may be what you need.

It's a tech article that resides semi-permantly in our "Garage" Section. There are quite a few other good pieces there as well.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Here is a generic set of directions

Comment

And some guys report that heating up the intake manifolds and airbox boots with a hair dryer or heat gun softens the rubber and makes it more pliable. But no matter what this job is a total b_tch. Have some beer nearby and try not to sweat it. A rubber mallet for some carefully applied persuasion can help too. Clymer's recommends pointing the engine side of the carbs down first, once they're aligned on center with the intakes, and then lifting that end up while pushing the air box side down. Didn't seem to help much for me and my 1980 GS 550E. I think pre-softening the manifolds and boots is the best bet, and using some lube. Has anyone ever tried K-Y jelly?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete's GS
            I think pre-softening the manifolds and boots is the best bet, and using some lube. Has anyone ever tried K-Y jelly?
            Did you hear about the new flavoured K-Y?

It really does help to have someone available, but if not get some silcone lubrication making sure not to get any on your hands or the carbs will be slipping like a greased up like a Greek oil wrestler. When installing, slide them in thru the left hand side attaching the throttle cable before getting them in place. Make sure that no hoses or cables run thru the two cabs connecting bars.

Comment

I took the chicken way out. I gassed the airbox and switched to pods. Now there isn't any of that pesky airbox in the way!
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

They are a pain in the @ss. However, I found it easiest on the '77 550 if you pull the airbox all the way back, finagle the carbs into the hole in between the airbox and the engine. Get the carbs into the airbox boots, and then push them into the engine intake boots (taking the airbox forward with them. Make sure you have your airbox boots set up right, the outer ones have a curve to them so that there's a proper seal.

Do get ready to swear though!

Satch

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                  I took the chicken way out. I gassed the airbox and switched to pods. Now there isn't any of that pesky airbox in the way!
                  Just did this myself... I had run out of swear words, and thus could not continue attempting the install. Pulled the airbox and bought a set of pods.

See my post about pods in here.

Comment

I have a mechanic that comes to my place. He's here now. He pulled the airbox FIRST, then the carbs.

When it was time to put it all back he installed the carbs first then the airbox.

With me watching I'd say it took him a total of 4 minutes to have the carb rack bolted back up and the airbox back on.

Seems like that may be the trick.

Comment

Interesting

I've been interested in all of your thoughts......and absolutely dread the day I have to take off and put on my carbs again. It's one of the most difficult jobs I've ever done and I can't remember when I've cussed so much.

I asked 2 mechanics at a bike shop what the secret is to getting them back on.....they looked at each other and one of them said "There ain't one!" :roll:
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

THANKS A LOT YOU GUYS!!!

THANKS A LOT YOU GUYS FOR THE INFO!!! I WILL ATTEMPT MY INSTALLATION ON SUNDAY! Hmmm..... maybe i should do it on saturday since i assume, from what you all have told me, i will be cussing a lot!! just a thought.

Comment

Re: THANKS A LOT YOU GUYS!!!

Originally posted by GS550 E
                          THANKS A LOT YOU GUYS FOR THE INFO!!! I WILL ATTEMPT MY INSTALLATION ON SUNDAY! Hmmm..... maybe i should do it on saturday since i assume, from what you all have told me, i will be cussing a lot!! just a thought.
                          Go look up some German epithets. German is strangely satisfying to curse in....

Comment

there is a secret....do it alot. it becomes easier the more you do it. i think i've done mine maybe about 6-8 times in the last week and i'm still not done, its a bitch but i change something everytime and have to put 'em back in to see if they work. i can do it in under 15mins now. its pretty nice.

Comment

The tip about airbox first is absolutely true - at least for my 1000. I can have the carbs out or back in in less than 5 minutes by (summarizing what others here have so wisely posted, and vouching from experience):

1. Taking out the airbox first, and installing it last, and independantly of the carbs.
                              2. Making sure all cables and hoses are out of the way when installing either carbs or airbox.
                              3. USING SOME LUBE on your boots, and gently (as much so as possible, anyhow..) push on the carbs or you'll push your bike right off the centerstand trying to get them in ..
                              4. Install/remove your throttle cable while the carbs are not attached to the engine.. It's SO much easier.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X