Oil pressure guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure guage

1983 GS1100es. Where would be a good place to mount a oil pressure guage? More to the point, where would I tap into?

The chrome galley plug on the right side drill and tap for 1/4" pipe plug
    check the diagram here You can mount the gauge there with a 90 deg fitting or run braided line to a remote gauge. NO plastic auto lines

Comment

Lynn, I'm thinking of mounting a gauge too, into that galley plug you mention. I've never removed one of these bolts. It's just a bolt that seals oil, right? Nothing to fear by removing it?
      Also, can you or anyone recommend a good name in gauges? Because our engines use such low pressure (6-7 psi ?), is there anything important to look for in a gauge? What psi range would the gauge need to cover?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

It's just a fancy pipe plug. One of my projects is to install a pressure gauge I was going to try a liquid filled fuel pressuer gauge available from places like Summit Racing. They go 0 to 20-25 lbs

Comment

OK, thanks. Let us know how you like it if you put it on.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

You will normally see pressures between 0.5 and 5 psi...I use a 0-15 psi gauge. Get a liquid filled gauge or you will be replacing it often.

Hap

Comment

Ahhh, master Hap. What brand did you buy? Another thought...I've never had a pressure problem that I know of but if you were on a long trip and the oil was pretty hot, what would be the lowest psi reading acceptable before you had to worry?
              You said 0.5 was still in the normal range? That's like, almost nothing 8O .
              Did you also tap into the galley bolt as Lynn described? Please excuse all the questions. Trying to learn here.

Comment

Hap,
                I would also like to know where you found a liquid filled, low pressure gauge. I bought a mini-gauge made by VDO when I installed the oil cooler, but it finally has developed a problem. It still measures, but will not return to zero when the bike is shut down. I am going to replace it, but if I can get a liquid filled gauge, that would be even better.

Comment

Hap: I put in the oil pump gears from APE Race Parts and they said that I should expect at least 30-50 psi depending on RPM.

Comment

I'm also curious as to where you found a liquid-filled gauge...

Dm of mD

Comment

The GS motorcycles with ball bearing cranks rely on volume, not pressure. The plain bearing motors, such as the 16 valve GS750, required a high-pressure oil system and you could expect 30 to 60 PSI. Putting the different oil pump gears will not significantly increase oil pressure but will increase flow volume by about 25% as I recall.

It took me a while to find a 0-15 PSI oil filled gauge. I got it from an industrial supply house. I'm in Houston for the next few days in an instrumentation class but when I get back home I will check the brand name of the gauge. It's a 1-1/2" diameter gauge. Be forewarned...quality gauges are not cheap. It costs about $50 as I recall.

Hap

Comment

Thanks Hap! I'll check out their site.
                        I've never done this before so I have a few questions. I'll mount mine on the galley bolt as Lynn called it. What size pilot hole did you drill and what size tap? Do you get the connectors with the gauge or do you have to go to the hardware/auto store? Any thread sealant used?
                        I know you mentioned "1/8 NPT" but Lynn mentioned 1/4"? Is there an advantage to one or the other? I know nothing about this subject and don't want to screw things up.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                          I'll mount mine on the galley bolt as Lynn called it. What size pilot hole did you drill and what size tap?
                          The pilot hole size should be 11/32", as I recall, and the tap will be 1/8 NPT. Often the tap will have the pilot hole drill size you need stamped on the side of the tap.

Do you get the connectors with the gauge or do you have to go to the hardware/auto store?
                          I purchased the 90 degree brass connector (it was female on one end and male on the other) from the local Ace Hardware store.

Any thread sealant used?
                          Teflon pipe tape is all I used, never had a leaking problem.

I know you mentioned "1/8 NPT" but Lynn mentioned 1/4"? Is there an advantage to one or the other? I know nothing about this subject and don't want to screw things up.
                          You will see the difference when you buy the connector...1/8 NPT looks like 1/4" and 1/4" NPT looks like 3/8"...pipe thread is very deceptive in the way it looks. In my opinion, 1/4" is way too big for this application.

I suggest you take your galley plug to a local machine shop and tell them what you want. Bring the connector with you so they can see it. It needs to be centered drilled by a drill press. It should cost between $5 and $10 to get it done.

Hap

Comment

Thanks for all that info Hap! I'll be taking it into the machine shop for sure.
                            I'd like to find a SS elbow though for cosmetic reasons, if they can be found.
                            What's your opinion about ordering the gauge with either SS or brass internals? I think I want silicone filled instead of glycerine too. Any opinion?

Comment

Working...
                            X