Oil pressure guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
    Thanks for all that info Hap! I'll be taking it into the machine shop for sure.
    I'd like to find a SS elbow though for cosmetic reasons, if they can be found.
    What's your opinion about ordering the gauge with either SS or brass internals? I think I want silicone filled instead of glycerine too. Any opinion?
    The internals for that gauge are 316 stainless. Silicon has a greater temperature range than glycerine but that is in the lower temperatures (-4 to -40 degrees F). I would go with what was cheaper and available.

Hap

Comment

Okie dokie. Thanks again.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Oil Pressure Gauge - Liquid-Filled

I have just bought a quantity of silicone-filled, stainless, black face with white markings and indicator, shock-resistant, 0-15 psi gauges from Marshall;

Proper fuel pressure is critical for adjusting your carburetor or fuel injection, so don't rely on a poor quality gauge - get a Marshall direct mount fuel pressure gauge. Our 1 1/2 in. diameter MS series gauges have a black face with white pointer and numbers. They are available dry or liquid-filled for accurate, steady readings. Gauges have a 1/8 in. NPT center back male fitting.

[/img]

Only $24.00 US each plus shipping. These are perfect for GS or any low oil pressure Japanese bike. Email me for details.

Sincerely,
        Vince

Comment

Just as a few notes. NPT is based on the ID of the pipe. 1/8" npt is more like 3/8" but the hole in the middle is about 1/8" 1/4" has a 1/4" hole down the middle, etc... 1/2"npt are HUGE. :-)

Stainless Steel fittings are not pressure rated. They are cosmetic. Of course at oil system pressures it isn;t a real issue, but I will not use any fitting that's not Brass, or nickel plated brass for that reason. Also you're screwing the fitting into aluminum.... So a softer material would be reccomended.

NPT taps are a pain in the butt to use, they are tapered so are cutting along the whole length of the tap. But it IS a project I would trust the average user to be able to do at home. Just use proper tapping technique and take your time.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

The Marshall gauges above have a 1/8" NPT fitting (brass) on the back. They can be direct mounted or panel-mounted with a u-bracket and appropriate hose / tubing. They are silicone-filled to lessen the high/low temperature problem. The case is stainless and weather-sealed, the movement shock-proof.

Comment

This is a great thread. Does anyone have a recommendation for a temprature guage?
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
              X