rear brake squeel, how do you stop it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear brake squeel, how do you stop it?

I get a nasty squeel from my rear disk with moderate pressure. There is no noise with light or heavy force on the brake pedal. The pads seem about half worn, still useable. Do I have to get new pads to get rid of the noise? Or are there any tricks to quiet it down? (1986 GS-1150)

At a auto place i worked at, they would rub alittle valve grinding compound onto the rotor(1 to 2 finger worth) and rotate the tire as the compound goes by the pad add alittle brake and then leave it on.
    What this would do was skuff the pad and rotor to remove the glaze that gives sqeeks.

Comment

Sometimes you can get a burr from the rotor stuck in a pad or the burr will still be on the rotor. If your rotor is getting a groove(s) wearing into it, this is a sign of a burr or other contaminant. Make sure the pads are clean and wearing evenly.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I also have the same problem, I'll inspect them. Thanks for that, but one more thing. Sorry to steal your thread vapour, but I have some rear brake rub with no pressure to the pedal, and when I apply the brake it rubs some more. Whats the problem, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by MaineZuki
          I also have the same problem, I'll inspect them. Thanks for that, but one more thing. Sorry to steal your thread vapour, but I have some rear brake rub with no pressure to the pedal, and when I apply the brake it rubs some more. Whats the problem, anyone?
          Is the brake arm adjusted to come up enough? There's a bolt held by a nut that's used to adjust the pedal height. It's near the rear of the brake arm. At least that's what my '79 1000 has. If you back off the bolt a little, that should raise the pedal a bit and maybe stop the dragging. Don't forget to tighten the holding nut. You should have 2-3 mm of "play" at the pedal before the braking actually begins.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I get a nasty squeel from my rear disk with moderate pressure. There is no noise with light or heavy force on the brake pedal. The pads seem about half worn, still useable. Do I have to get new pads to get rid of the noise? Or are there any tricks to quiet it down?
            Not sure if this will help since your pads are half worn. I just got my bike and looks like the pads were new. Another thread in this forum suggested putting silicon sealant on the back of the pads. All I had was Tub & Tile caulk. I took one pad at a time and rub some on the back of it last night, and this morning the squeal is gone. It only took about 5 minutes. Worked great?
            I would inspect the pads once I had them out.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dmplatt
              I get a nasty squeel from my rear disk with moderate pressure. There is no noise with light or heavy force on the brake pedal. The pads seem about half worn, still useable. Do I have to get new pads to get rid of the noise? Or are there any tricks to quiet it down?
              Not sure if this will help since your pads are half worn. I just got my bike and looks like the pads were new. Another thread in this forum suggested putting silicon sealant on the back of the pads. All I had was Tub & Tile caulk. I took one pad at a time and rub some on the back of it last night, and this morning the squeal is gone. It only took about 5 minutes. Worked great?
              I would inspect the pads once I had them out.

Good Luck.
              Yes, the chances are the squeak is coming from the back of the pad contacting the caliper. There is actually a small thin-metal shim that fits in there stock. But they are so small most of them get lost early on during pad changes.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Is the brake arm adjusted to come up enough? There's a bolt held by a nut that's used to adjust the pedal height. It's near the rear of the brake arm. At least that's what my '79 1000 has. If you back off the bolt a little, that should raise the pedal a bit and maybe stop the dragging. Don't forget to tighten the holding nut. You should have 2-3 mm of "play" at the pedal before the braking actually begins.
                That fixed my problem in my one post, i looked at the bolt and the nut was gone, so it kept going down and tighting up my rear brakes so they were hard and binding.

Lennie

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                  Originally posted by MaineZuki
                  I think I know what you're talking about, I'll give it a shot. Now that you mentioned it I think that might be the problem.

Comment

MaineZuki, if you're having trouble finding the pedal adjuster bolt, just push the pedal down some and pull it back up hard enough so you'll hear the end of the bolt hitting the stop somewhere.

Comment

will do Keith, thanks!

Comment

I wonder if I should insert a comment about not using the rear brakes here?

Comment

Working...
                        X