No announcement yet.

Changing rear sprocket sizes on my 78 GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point!!! Give the newbie a break bud... Thx for the info!!!

Comment

I agree with you first timer. These bikes need to be reved. I prefer the stock gearing (15/50). I think tinkering with the gearing maybe more then you ask for. Suzuki has engineers that would have spent alot of time on what gearing combo to use; big math formulas and lots of scribbling on chalk boards
      I was toying with the idea of going up 1 tooth on the front for hwy driving, but decided not to.
      If you want to try somthing with your sprocket and chains, try using a non o-ring chain. See if that makes a difference. You'd be surprised as to how much drag a o-ring chain causes and robs your power.
      Of course the pay off is lots of lubing and adjusting and doesnt last as long.

Comment

I know this sounds really stupid(and a wee off subject), but i know all you w/ 550's are talking about your RPM's in 6th gear...now for the stupid part...i've got a 78 gs750, and i only have 5 gears, is this right? or should i make a feeble attempt at clicking up for a sixth gear(never really had to try to check for a 6th)

Comment

ha ha 550's rock we are the choosen few with 6 gears, your 750 only has 5, ha ha.

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by aschessla
            1st timer, I do alot of highway commuting, 150 miles around trip. I was thinking (1) size up in order to save some gas $$$, I really don't have an issue w/ the ride at all. I was going on research thats all. So you don't think it is a good idea?
            As I stated previously I use a 16T front sprocket. Up one from 15, this was based on wanting to lower my crusing RPMs and also on an article written by Gordon Jennings back in the 70's in Cycle Magazine that explained technically why 16T should be the minimum size for a front sprocket for motorcycles with 530 chains. Complete with technical drawings, math, angles and angels etc. I think he was running a bluff, but who knows? The bottom line and the reason I went with the 16 tooth sprocket: he said "your chain and sprockets will last much longer." Well smack my butt and call me Silly but that sounded good to me. Chain and sprockets cost bucks and the less often I have to buy them and install them the better.

16T front 48T rear 108 link 530 Xring chain.

You want revs? You shift later, works for me. And 75 +or- is 6 grand.

Keep the chain CLEAN and LUBED and they'll last an easy 12-15K miles.

Comment

If I was going to do a lot of highway commuting, I would go with the 16 front sprocket. Decreasing rpm will also decrease vibration and increase gas milage. If you want to accelerate harder, just drop down a gear.
              It could make 6 th gear into more of an overdrive gear and it could reduce your top end speed in 6th gear. (my 750 is set up that way....it will top out at a higher speed in 4th gear than it will in 5th, but it is oh so dead smooth and quiet in 5th) :-) My 1150 turns 3800 at 65 mph, so I think I'll leave that alone. :-)

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X