83 GS550L Ignition Problems.... Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550L Ignition Problems.... Please help

I have an 83' GS550L. It has sat for about 2 years, but with the gas prices, I want to get it running. When I originally parked it, It ran, got warm, then would quit. Wait 20 minutes, and it would fire back up. Sounds like the infamous stator problem.. right? So.. my first steps were a New Battery and a New Stator. But I still am getting no spark.

I Ohm'd out the Magnetic Pickups and only one of them seems to be good. Would that prevent any spark being generated, or just allow one coil to operate? I would like to refrain from OEM parts ( $$$$$$$) and would love an aftermarket solution.

I have looked for a Ignition Conversion for my bike. I called DYNATEK, and they said they don't make one for the 83' GS550L. MSD, same thing. No one seems to have the aftermarket setup I need.

Any Suggestions? This bike is going to make me put a gun in my mouth!

Thanks.

PS - This is my first post... but this forum has proven VERY helpful. Good Job.

C'mon.... nothing from no one here?

Please?

Comment

hello

Hello,
      Don't put the gun in your mouth Suzukis aren't worth it (although I know where you're coming from!!). My preference is to shoot the suzuki, but lets ignore that.
      As for your ignitor problem, yes I probably have the solution for you. My gs650 Katana also had exactly the same problem as you had AND dynatec didn't officially make a dyna S system for my bike...yet they do for other machines like the gs850 etc. I couldn't understant why they didn't make it for this machine when the principle and in fact even the mechanical advance system were identical to the gs850. The bottom line is they DO fit with some modification. However I must impress upon you that my machine is NOT a gs550 katana but the gs650 katana shaft drive. I reckon though there is no difference. If you could possibly send me a picture of your mechanical advance system (face on) I can tell you if its like mine and whether one will fit your machine. Its strange but the only reason why they do not make one for the gs650 kat is because there is the oil pressure sender unit causing an obstruction. It is a simple matter of cutting a half moon shape in the back plate. There is a couple of other very slight wiring mods but these are very minor indeed. Otherwise everything else is the same. I contacted dyna (who are very helpful) and they did agree that in principle there was no reason why the dyna s system wouldn't work. Installing it does away with your old ignitor unit. I bet you have phoned suzuki for a quote of a new unit, yes i did too and yes I thought they were 'having a laugh' how much money they wanted.
      Let me know

Comment

THanks a million!

Yeah... the Suzuki box is rediculously overpriced!

I understand what you are saying. I will take a pic and send it... I would have no problem wiring or moding a different unit, if I had instructions on what goes where..

I appreciate you taking the time to help. Thanks again.

Comment

Just for clarities sake, is your GS550L the 8 valve or 16 valve version, I only ask as the 16 Valve engine was released in '83 and they did an L version as well. If its a 16 valve version then Boyer Bransden do a unit.

Check out this guy on EBay as well

Comment

Yes... it is the GS550L 16 Valve version...

And I will check into that! Thanks!

Comment

I found a site with a Boyer Bransden igintion system and says it
              Fits: Suzuki GS550 -Models with electronic ignition.

Here is what I found:

Now... yeah.. I got the GS550... but will it fit the ""L" Model?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                I found a site with a Boyer Bransden igintion system and says it
                Fits: Suzuki GS550 -Models with electronic ignition.

Here is what I found:

Now... yeah.. I got the GS550... but will it fit the ""L" Model?[/url]
                According to my manuals the GS550L 16V uses the exact same ignitor so it will work and according to BikeBandit the part Nos are the same so yeah, it'll work!

The Boyer will also require new connectors and you'll need to make a spacer for the pick up rotors. The one on EBay claims to be a straight plug in and doesn't look to need a replacement pickup assembly wheras the Boyer comes with its own .

I run one of the Boyers on my 83 ES and it works well (well it did till I stripped it down, I'm in the process of a rebuild)

Comment

Big N Daft.... you wrote...

The one on EBay claims to be a straight plug in
                  I am a little unsure what you are referring to.. can you be specific? I just want to be sure....

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                    Big N Daft.... you wrote...

The one on EBay claims to be a straight plug in
                    I am a little unsure what you are referring to.. can you be specific? I just want to be sure....
                    The connectors that plug into Suzuki Ignitor can go straight into the one advertised on Ebay wheras the Boyer has loose wires which need to be messed around with to fit by way of bullet connectors. Its not rocket science but it means hacking into your loom!

Comment

Gotcha.... so you are saying that the "SUZUKI GSX GSXR 400 750 1100 PERF IGNITIONS" box will work?

Comment

They should both work, the difference being in how much hacking of your wiring you'll need to do to get the Boyer installed and also that you don't need to worry about adding a pickup plate and rotor spacer with the Hyperpak.

The Boyer unit is designed for the GSX250 which is a twin (IIRC) but works with the GS550, a side effect of this is that it doubles up the already double redundant sparking in the 550s ignition system resulting in the ignitor firing every cylinder on every stroke.

The hyperpak looks like it is a unit that the guy manufactures himself and programmes in the correct advance curve to specific models. He then supplies it with the correct terminals on the wiring to allow you to stick it straight on your existing wiring. Email him with your model details and ensure he can sort your model. His feedback looks OK, I'd trust the guy, he's already shipping from the NZ to the States and Europe!

Their website is http://www.erd.co.nz/index.htm

Comment

Thanks a million! You have been a great help.... I wish I could return the favor.

Comment

Out of curiosity... do you know, If one of the pickups are bad...would that keep spark from being generated on either coil?

Comment

Hold on there Rambo, curiosity killed the cat!

Its a bit late in the day but (and I stand to be corrected on this as I've not really delved into it that much) as the pickups produce a pulse on every half rotation of the crank it may well be feasible that loss of one of the pick ups may not affect firing however this could depend on which pickup went U/S. You could unhook one of the wires from the pick up plate (not the Black/White) and fire her up, but then I'd just suggest putting an Ohm Meter across the pickups and comparing their resisitance. I do beleive there is a section in the Haynes manual which tells you how to check for duff pickup coils with a multimeter and gives the readings you should expect for a serviceable assembly!

Comment

Working...
                              X