Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This gs is killing me

Hello All, 79 gs 850

Sorry to have to ask this.....but my Clymers manual does not cover this.
    What would cause a blue flame to come out of my right side exhaust pipe? The gas tank was full of rust and it was getting into the carbs. Cleaned carbs, cleaned and relined gas tank. Before this latest problem the bike ran GREAT. Now back firing out of the pipes, low on power, and bogs down occasionally.

Will it ever end?

Thinking of riding a bicycle

Quietone

ps. Also one of my carbs is hicupping, this is also on the same side that a blue flame will shoot out the exhaust pipe.

Re: flame out the tail pipe

Originally posted by quietone
    Hello All,

Sorry to have to ask this.....but my Clymers manual does not cover this.
    What would cause a blue flame to come out of my right side exhaust pipe? The gas tank was full of rust and it was getting into the carbs. Cleaned carbs, cleaned and relined gas tank. Before this latest problem the bike ran GREAT. Now back firing out of the pipes, low on power, and bogs down.

Will it ever end?

Thinking of riding a bicycle

Quietone

ps. Also I am using clear fuel line, and the line never become completely full. When a certain amount of feul has been used and the floats begin to let more feul enter the bowls I can see that feul trickles down into the line.
    Is this normal?
    Blue flame: nasty little backfire. Don't run the bike until someone more knowledgable than me has a say (Earl, that's your cue!).

Fuel line: is the fuel line route from the gas tank to the carbs all downhill or does it dip down and then come up again? The really important part is that the top of the fuel in the line is farther above the ground than the carb bowls. As long as the fuel flows to the carb bowls and the floats reguate the level, you're OK.

Sorry if that was confusing.

Michael

Comment

I would also check the petcock screen...if you had/have rust that got into your carbs, then it is probably clogged, casuing your 'dripping' fuel

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
        I would also check the petcock screen...if you had/have rust that got into your carbs, then it is probably clogged, casuing your 'dripping' fuel
        The petcock does not have a screen, as it is just a basic on/off fuel tap. the problem is isolated to one carb I believe. This carb is hiccupping through the pod filter. The carbs were just syn'd, timing is on, everything is good except for this carb, and the blue flame that will occasionally blow throught that side of the exhaust. 8O The bike ran great before this but the tank was full of rust. I had the tank cleaned and coated. i took the carbs off and cleaned them. Could a peice of rust still be in this one carb. And if so where would it be? Piolt jet orifice? Main jet? Air jet?

At least my problem seems to be isolated to this one carb.

79 gs 850

Thanks very much

Comment

Get an air hose and blow all the passages out. Then get an in-line filter that works with gravity feed and put it on.

Comment

Did that, and with no changes.

Any other ideas?

Thank You

Comment

PUT some new coils on. The fuel bubble is normal, but make sure the petcock is working I had problems with my 79GS850 too. I would be riding and out of the blue it would backfire. If I didn't keep the rpm up it would die. Finally died an ended up having to push start it to get home one day. Did the tune up (points,cond, cleaned the carbs) It would not run! It looked like it had spark??? Changed the coils and bairly hit the starter and it started.

Comment

Did that, and with no changes.

Any other ideas?

Thank You
                Ok, just checking to make sure that you used a gravety feed fuel filter. Don't use the paper element auto type. You will be starved for fuel and the symptoms you describe will occur.

Comment

Hello All,

My problem still persists. The carb for the number one cylinder coughs a bit, and the exhaust on the same side will hiccup a nice blue flame out of the pipe. This to me indicate an overly rich condition. I've checked the carb for this side and all is ok. I've checked the float height and all of the jets and orifices...all is clear. Any ides? The bike ran great before this....the tank I',m using had alot of rust in it. Igot it cleaned and dipped, and cleaned the carbs out just to be on the safe side. Now what?

The timing is dead on, the valve are all within spec.

Any ideas.....I want to ride.

79 gs 850 pods 110 mains 17.5 pilots open pipes

Thanks once and many times again

Comment

Re: MY previous post Have you checked / swapped the coils side to side?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Hello,

Well no.......I didn't check your last post. But I have a very good excuse.
                      My dog ran away, my wife left me, I lost my job, went on a three day binge, and I lost my keys. Seriously though, I must have skipped over it.
                      After I read your post I thought to myself "What is the simplest (read: easiest thing that I could do?) Answer: Change the spark plug. Which I did, and it has run without any problems. The plug itself was cover with gas, and it had previously worked, however spark plugs can be mysterious things at times. Your post made me think that possibly the problem was igintion related. I guess the plug crapped out and was not delivering an optimal spark to the affected cylinder. I am just going to go out on a ride right now. I just put that in for a sense of reality, that I think we loose spending so much time on this thing called a C.O.M.P.U.T.E.R. My goodness, I have had this bike for about 1 year and for about 11 months it has been in pieces....but now I beleive that it is finished. Yes it has assemebly scatches all over it, but it is funny that I don't notice it's "character" when I am on it! It still appears to run a bit rich...but I think that all of this start and stop has really carboned up everything, and that a good long run will clear up the situation.

Thank you once again, and I mean this very seriously

To the best bike and the best people in in the world

Yours truely

Quietone

Comment

Working...
                      X