'82 GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS1100G

Just aquired an 82 GS1100G needs complete frame up rebuild. Bike is mostly complete. It was flipped end for end, front forks are tweaked, and at sometime in the past someone took a spark plug out and the engine seems to be locked up. My question is rebuild it or give it back to the guy I got it from? Have an 82 GS750T that I ride now, and have heard good things on here about the 1100's that's why I jumped on the chance to bring the poor old bike home. It's just the fact that after looking it over real good I realized it was going to be a money pit for a good while before I could even ride it. So If I'm going to sink a bunch of money into it I might just as well do it right and start from the frame up. Just looking for thoughts from the rest of you. Thanks Dave

82 GS750T
    82 Gs1100G
    74 RL250

If it was flipped end for end I would not spend a lot until makin sure the frame is OK. If you are lucky you might be able to rering the motor if the cyl is real rusty probably a rebore and new pistons Lower end should be fine IT's definately worth bringing back to life

Comment

You're right. This bike will probably require a lot of money and time to get it going again. I would add up the cost of the bike and an estimate of the cost of the repairs against just finding an 1100 that's already running. If you didn't pay much for the bike, it may be worth keeping as a parts bike. You could probably work up some estimates and compare the options.

I do think that when a bike has been in an accident, one should be very careful that there are no parts prone to failure at a bad time.

I can confirm that the 1100 is a great engine. I really like the power.

Comment

Originally posted by karl_ibsen

I can confirm that the 1100 is a great engine. I really like the power.
        ME TOO!!! 8O Bill

Comment

Working...
        X