Chain Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Conversion

Does anyone have any info on changing my stock 82 GS1100 chain from 630 to 520. If any one has any parts let me know or where I can get some.

Re: Chain Conversion

Originally posted by william smoley
    Does anyone have any info on changing my stock 82 GS1100 chain from 630 to 520. If any one has any parts let me know or where I can get some.
    iM GLAD YOU ASKED THAT QUESTION--NOW I AM SURE I DONT KNOW A THING ABOUT MY BIKE--i WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE 1100 BIKES 1982 AND 1983 HAD 530 CHAINS AND NOT 630 CHAINS--HELP ME TO GET IT STRAIGHT PLEASE

Comment

They're equipped with 630 chain, easily changed to 530, look at my site under 'mods'.
      Don't know why you'd want to use 520, I think it might be too wimpy...

Comment

I have the 530 conversion on my '81 GS1100E. The Dennis Kirk Catalog has the information on what parts to order. I believe it is the same as the '87 GSXR-750 as far as the sprockets go. I will do a link count to see how many links you need when I get home. You will also need a .25" spacer I believe.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by biker66
          They're equipped with 630 chain, easily changed to 530, look at my site under 'mods'.
          Now all I need to know also is why Bill wants to go to a smaller chain??
          Talking about chains, this morning i was going to switch the countershaft sprocket from one toot under stock to one tooth over so when my feather weight jock gets to running it it just wont sit and burn my tires--problem is the bolt wont budge with a 3/4 inch drive ratchet--i guess that tomorrow i will dig out the impact wrench
          --does any one have some tips for me--and yes i did pean the lock washer back to the flat position

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
            Originally posted by biker66
            Now all I need to know also is why Bill wants to go to a smaller chain??
            Talking about chains, this morning i was going to switch the countershaft sprocket from one toot under stock to one tooth over so when my feather weight jock gets to running it it just wont sit and burn my tires--problem is the bolt wont budge with a 3/4 inch drive ratchet--i guess that tomorrow i will dig out the impact wrench
            --does any one have some tips for me--and yes i did pean the lock washer back to the flat position
            Why change to smaller chain and sprockets? Far less rotating mass. Faster accelleration. Less weight. A drag racer like you knows the formula...less weight = lower ET. When removing your CS sprocket use your rear brake to hold the sprocket(if your chain is attached) so you don't put so much strain on your tranny if its that tight and/or an impact works great.

Comment

Dan
              I see about the chain i think this is good for only hundredths of a second and would scare this old goat--i have enough trouble walking now---tomorrow i dig out the impact wrench we already tried the brakes with 2 people
              thanks dan

Comment

Hap
                Thanks for the info on parts and if you get a chance let me know on the link count.

Slowpoke
                Dan has the answer on why i want to change to a smaller chain. Your bike does have a 630 chain. Using a impact on the sprocket nut work great and you don't need another person.

Biker66
                Thanks for the info on a 520 chain being too wimpy. I have a 1260 kit and a stage 3 kit on the carbs with a falicon crank with other mods. I di not see your reply in "mods" if you have any other info would be nice.

Dan
                You save me alot of writing on the reply to slowpoke. Thanks for the info on the impact I use that method it work alot easier.

Comment

Choose 'Mods' on my site, then press '630/530' at the top of the page.

If that doesn't work try this:

Scroll down to '630/530'.

How many bhp:s do you have? Maybe you should keep your 630 chain...
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2007, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I have a 530 on my gs750, Ive used 550 sprockets (to drop the gearing so im flat out on nudging red at 130), and my chain is seriously overlength (think its something like 128 links long), I lube the chain and adjust it after every ride, and I throw it in the bin every 3 or 4 thousand miles. The turbo tends to brutalize it anyway..
                    :twisted:

Comment

I counted 55 side plates which comes out to 110 links. I went up one tooth on the front sprocket and down two on the back because of all the highway riding I do, so you might get by with 109 links but it is better to cut off excess than to have to piece a chain together.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                      X