wobble wobble when warmed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wobble wobble when warmed up

I've been having some problems with wobbling on my 78 GS550E when it's warmed up. It's ok for about the first 2 minutes of a ride, then after it warms up it starts to wobble up and down a bit. Wheel bearings are new, tire pressure is correct, and chain tension is right on. Sprockets are perfectly in line.

I've also just developed a bit of a clicking sound in the engine too when warm (I originally thought it was a stone in the tire), as well as some noise from the gearbox and clutch that's not normal (at least I don't think so).

So just for S&G, I decided to put the bike up on the centerstand and shift into first, then let the clutch out. Wobble wobble!!! I mean the damned chain looked like it was going to wobble right off one of the sprockets!

I read in another post where a guy had a mechanic change a bearing that was causing wobble in the driveshaft, and I'm wondering if that is what I possibly need to do?

The bike has 23,000 miles and its a 78 GS550E.

ummm..... you don't have driveshaft, if you have a chain. Countershaft maybe? That's what drives the front sprocket, I'm sure if that bearing's bad you'd definitely get some wobble going. Most likely would be a good idea to pull the chain and cover and have a look see, if the back wheel, axle, and bearings check out OK.

Comment

Did you leave a spacer out When you put in the new wheel brgs Check the wheel alignment, the frame marks generally are not accurate. Make sure the chain is not too tight. If the chain is bad you can adjust it? then turn the wheel to a different spot and it will be tight, so check it in several spots. Most people get there chain adjusted too tight untill they learn Chain clearance is adjusted with your weight on the bike, both tires on the ground.

Comment

Houston we have a problem. Major problem.

I did some further experimentation, and the wobble arises as follows:

On the centerstand, I shift into first and with the clutch lever still in the chain starts spinning and everything is smooth.

Then I let out the clutch lever, and the bad sound comes and that's when my chain starts wobbling around and looking like it's going to jump a tooth. Sounds like something is grinding, and I can't isolate whether its coming from the transmission or the clutch.

Shift to second, hold the clutch in and it turns smoothly, let out the clutch lever and the bad sound comes again along with the chain wobble.

The same pattern happens until I shift into 5th and 6th. With the clutch lever still pulled in when I shift to these gears, the chain stops spinning. It spins and the bad sound comes back though when I release the lever.

By the way, I also hear the grinding sound when the bike is in neutral with the clutch lever released. It stops when I pull in on the lever even in neutral.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible with hopes a clutch/transmission enthusiast can diagnose this.

Thanks,

Chad

Comment

Working...
        X