tire size discussion......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire size discussion......

The gs 1100e in 82 uses a stock rear tire size of 130 90 17.....

And i am under the strong impression that going over a 140 80 or 140 90 will adversly effect the cornering ability of the bike, as tires larger than stock will pucker up in the center causing less tread on the ground in the straights and a larger crown to overcome.

citing a recent motorcycle article where some of the newer sport bikes were playing with tires, the stock tire size was 180 55.....when going to a 190 50 they got worse corner handleing and with a 170 60 the cornering was better than stock tire size,...

It is not possable in my mind to go to a 120 90 etc on a gs 1100, as the less rubber on this beast would be bad.

so i am stuck tryingg to find a good 140 80 or a 130 90 or 130 80..... I ride alot of miles 4500 miles since april 20th.

my current k591 is awesome but the rubber has become increasingly less in 500 or so miles the tire wears fast.

My old st11(bridgestone) was a good tire i pushed it hard, once warm, and it never faultered. But now as i have pushed it on the k591 i am scared to go back to the st11, as I think i will be in trouble, and on a flawless gs1100 I am scared to drop her, as she is soooo pretty and beating her up on the side skidding down the road would not bew a good end to an awesome bike.

any pointers, believe me i push this bike in the corners, i have pushed her within 10% of her limits.....

Still cant keep up in the corners with the old man on a 04 bmw boxer cup replika.

Kevin aka earth Brown

What size rim do you have? 2.5 to 3.0 inch and 130 tire is max for that rim size. One of the best mods on a 1000 or 1100 is to find a 3.5 inch rear that will fit and run a 140 rear. I have run an 1150E 3.5inch rear on my 750 for many years with a 140-very easy mod-only need to modify the rear brake torque arm. Ride On, Ed.
    1983 GS750ED
    2001 TL1000S (for sale)

Comment

I thought the stock rear tire was a 120 on the 1100. You can usually go up one size, but even then the bike will feel a bit tipsy. Run stock tires sizes, or get a new rim as old suggests.

Comment

when going to a 190 50 they got worse corner handleing and with a 170 60 the cornering was better than stock tire size
        The best handling is when the front and rear tires are the same size. As the rear gets wider than the front, it starts to adversely affect handling, especially at high lean angles.

so i am stuck tryingg to find a good 140 80 or a 130 90 or 130 80
        Try the Bridgeston BT45's. They are a narrow bias ply tire meant for the older bikes. A friend races an RD400 on them and says they are fantastic on the track and they look almost like new after several races. They are even pretty cheap, too. Can't beat that combination...

Mark

Comment

Yeah

I agree with Swanny, the bridge salesman. I'd use the tires that the bike was designed to run. Those Japster engineers gave it more thoughtful study than most people imagine. :?
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X