Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do i need new sprockets and chain after 4500 miles....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do i need new sprockets and chain after 4500 miles....

I lubricate the high quality o-ring chain every 300 miles atleast, and keep proper chain tension, and I am looking at new equipment in under 6k miles.....

a friend with a 02 gixer 1000 lubricates chain every 2000 miles and got 20k of wheelies and speed out of his set up.

Kevin aka EARTH BROWN

new chain on old sprockets wear out very fast or it wasn't so high quality as you thought

Comment

It may be the quality of the chain, and the sprockets. make sure the chain in not adjusted too tight all the time. as it will wear quickly. A chaep oring chain I had years ago only lasted about the same mileage.

Comment

replace them all

Make sure you replace chains and sprockets together, a new chain on an old sprocket will cause premature wear.

Luke

Comment

make sure the chain in not adjusted too tight all the time. as it will wear quickly
          Keep your chain on the loose side of what the manual says. Too tight eats chains and costs power, while a (slightly) loose chain will last much longer and free up power. You should see how loose chains are on the factory 600's running in Supersport It is enough to make you think a failure is guranteed, but they don't jump off very often at all, even under the severe usage of top level racing.

Another thing is to change your chain and sprockets as a set. As mentioned, an old set of sprockets will eat a new chain in no time.

Lubing your chain is not that critical with an O-ring chain, as the lube is already inside the chain. The lube on the outside is strictly for corrosion protection of the outside pieces. I use WD-40 to clean and protect my chain and it currently has 23,000km on it and I have not even had to adjust it since I bought the bike with 11,000km on it last year. It is stored indoors, however, and our climate is pretty dry so rusting is not much of an issue for me. If I get rained on, then I make sure to lube it up ASAP to prevent rust forming.

I would expect a premium O-ring chain to last 25,000+ miles if installed with a new sprocket set and cared for.

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X