Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 GS1000 No Clutch After Pulling Crankcase Cover. FIXED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000 No Clutch After Pulling Crankcase Cover. FIXED!!

I pulled the crankcase cover off of my GS1000 this weekend to clean the sightglass. When I had it all back together, I had no clutch. the lever that the cable attachs to just flops back and forth. No spring action whatsoever. I read the manuel and the only thing it tells you to do is make sure the teeth line up. The clutch push rod flops around but everything I have read says that it is supposed to. I am hoping I am just missing something simple here. Any Ideas?

I have a '79 1000. I had no problems last time I re-installed mine. From what I remember, you line up the teeth as you said and mount the cover. Slip the arm that holds the cable... onto the shaft... so that when you push it in towards the engine, it stops (under finger pressure) at approximately 9:00. Tighten the arm down and hook up the cable. If you have the cable adjusters set correctly at the mid-point (under the tank-if your cable has this) and at the clutch arm, you should be able to make the tension correct at the hand lever adjuster and have plenty of future adjustment. Allow 2-3 mm of slack at the hand lever .
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

No Spring Action

Keith,
      When I do this, this is absolutly no spring action in the lever. It is like the clutch is stuck in the engaged position. I am not familiar with the operation, internal, of the clutch but would think I would feel slight resistance at some point. The arm the cable goes into simpy flops for about 3/8 to 1/2 inch then is rock solid, no more movement. Is there any way for me to tell if the clutch is stuck engaged?

Comment

78 GS1000 here. I have had that cover off a few times over the years, no problems either. Are you sure that the rod coming out of the clutch is engaged with the gear in the cover? You can feel it as it goes on. I suspect you do not have the push rod and cam in the cover lined up properly. Check that is engaged properly and then follows Keith's instructions. It has worked ok for us over the years, so nothing major is wrong. Don't panic, look at the problem and it will be solved.

Comment

Check that is engaged properly and then follows Keith's instructions.
          Ditto

Comment

When I changed the clutch plates on my 1100 a week or so ago (for the first time), I initially had the same problem ... but realized after setting the lever correctly that what seemed like a bar that was "rock solid" (as you stated) was actually installed correctly ... the new springs were just a LOT stiffer than the old worn ones.

Put the cover back on when you have it aligned so that it is "rock solid" in the right position, and then go squeeze the clutch lever. I'll bet it works!

Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will tackle it again soon!!

Everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I will try it again as soon as I can and let you know what I find. Hopefully will be back in action. I miss the roar of the wind and the pipes. Would go out there now but just got off a 12 hour night shift followed by a fishing trip with my son who came to visit this week.

Dave

Comment

Re: No Spring Action

Originally posted by david_mcspadden
                Keith,
                When I do this, this is absolutly no spring action in the lever. It is like the clutch is stuck in the engaged position. I am not familiar with the operation, internal, of the clutch but would think I would feel slight resistance at some point. The arm the cable goes into simpy flops for about 3/8 to 1/2 inch then is rock solid, no more movement. Is there any way for me to tell if the clutch is stuck engaged?
                I'm just guessing that you might be under estimating the force needed to pull that cable arm in further, AFTER it seems to stop. Don't try checking its operation with your hand, set the arm so it stops at about 9:00 when pushed in under finger pressure like I said before and tighten the bolt. Connect and adjust the cable and then try pulling in the clutch lever.
                If it does'nt work, then you're somehow not aligning the release rack teeth and the pinion teeth.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm with Keith. If the rack isn't in the gear in the clutch cover properly, the clutch cover won't go back on. I can't imagine anything that could lodge the pressure plate, there's nothing else in there. If trying to push the clutch actuator arm, (is that the proper name? it's sure not the basket), you will think it's locked up. Be sure the actuator arm is at 9 o'clock & not 3 o'clock position.

Comment

You guys were correct. I just underestimated the force needed to move the lever once it was at the stop. I hooked everything up, pulled the lever, and got clutch!! Thanks for all the replies.

Dave

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

I love it when problems turn out to be something simple & cheep

Comment

Always nice to learn something in a timely fashion ... just in time to share it with someone else!!

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X