a quick question 82 gs650e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a quick question 82 gs650e

The guys I bought my bike from but these awful hwy bars on it, I havnt had the $ to buy a stand yet but I hate the things but they are bolted to the engine mounts. any ideas on a good way to remove the damned things they are heavy too and dont look good with the cafe look I have now. Thanks guys in advance you are always helpful, soory Ive not been around much of late Ive been riding not writing just broke the 8200 orig. mile mark.

Keltic

Re: a quick question 82 gs650e

Originally posted by Keltic
    The guys I bought my bike from but these awful hwy bars on it, I havnt had the $ to buy a stand yet but I hate the things but they are bolted to the engine mounts. any ideas on a good way to remove the damned things
    Keltic
    Keltic,

If they are bolted on you should be able to loosen the nuts and bolts to remove them.

Probably want to stratagize on which ones to remove first, then pivot it out of the way, replace the removed bolts, then get at the last one. IE if there are 3 bolts on each holding it on, remove the lower two, loosen the top one, rotate the bars down so you can replace the lower two bolts and tighten, then remove the top one and remove the bars from that side. Repeat on the other side. (that's how I'd probably do it)

Picture might help so we can see what we are dealing with. But I think you can probably get my jist.

Amos

Comment

picture of the bike is on site in the pics sections ,black and red with bags
      1982 gs650E

Comment

Hmm.. hard to tell from that picture, but it sort of looks like you may need to pull your exhaust as well.

nice looking bike btw. Mine is almost it's twin (hope to make it so sometime) minus the bags and windscreen.

As I've said elsewhere, I put a set of daytona bars on it (black) and the side covers are getting painted black, hopefully tonight I'll have that done.

I'm going to have to get an updated picture of it to add to the gallary once I get the tank re-painted etc.

Amos

Comment

Thanks,
          The bags are gone so is the windshield and handle bars
          replaced with cafe fairing low rise drag bars , bottome air scoop is next
          she loves to eat harleys up, I just have to laugh when my lil ole 650 munchs on big twins lol

Keltic aka Erik Moore

Comment

Have any recent pictures?

I'm not sure if I want to go with a fairing/windscreen or not. Mark has one that he had on his KZ550 that might not look too bad, but I'm just not sure, I sort of like the naked look and all.

Sometime, probably next week, I"m going to see if I can re-key it to match the keys off of my old 550 since they are the oem plastic covered Suzuki keys. I'm not totally sure I'm going to be able to switch all the different locks out though. I'm hoping so.

Amos

Comment

Working...
            X