Vance & Hines Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance & Hines Exhaust

I was just looking for a new exhaust for my GS and I came across the V&H for a mere $285 from Dennis Kirk.

My question is does anyone run this and how does it sound? It is a 4 into 1 so I wondered wht the tone diffence is and will I wake up my entire Apartment complex when I leave in the morning?

i have run them on other bikes and they can really wake up your bike...of course if you are running it through the gears keaving your apt. you will wake up the neighbors too :twisted:

Comment

V&H tend to make loud pipes, but they also perform very well. The tone on them isn't grating either.

Comment

I replaced my worn Kerker earlier this year with a V&H pipe.
        Not really loud until the rpm's rise.
        At idle it's pretty wuiet.
        I leave for work early, like usually by 5:30am, sometimes earlier.
        No neighbors complaining. One actually asked if I had a new bike as it was quieter

I left the jetting alone from the Kerker. More mid range and still has lots on the upper range. I like it better than the Kerker.

Only problem I had was the first pipe sent was defective. One of the flanges was incorrect in shape and size :?
        Once MAW got their schitt together and replaced it, all is good.

Nice pipe, fit well, still have access to the oil filter and drain and I was able to keep the center stand
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Well with my V&H Pro pipe I don't need to buy anymore Q-tips to clean my ears.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I love V&H pipes. Positively my favorite for vintage iron.

Comment

Good pipes. On a scale of 1 to 10 they rate about a 6 to a 7. After having installed and run many of the newer pipes out thats about how they rate to me. Many of the pipes for modern bikes are 1K and up so they should be better. V&H for the money is a good deal.

Comment

One of the best. Great mid range, due to the smaller collector. Years ago they would tell you how to jet with their pipes, don't know if they still do or not. Pretty quiet, for a 4 into 1. No problem to repack the baffel, with the megaphone type, I don't see how you would repack the canister type, maybe someone else knows.

Comment

make shur you jet it or it will run lean

Comment

Re: Vance & Hines Exhaust

Originally posted by 79gs850mike
                    I was just looking for a new exhaust for my GS and I came across the V&H for a mere $285 from Dennis Kirk.

My question is does anyone run this and how does it sound? It is a 4 into 1 so I wondered wht the tone diffence is and will I wake up my entire Apartment complex when I leave in the morning?
                    I have the V&H 4-1 chrome megaphone. That the one you're talking about? Fairly quiet pipe when putting around. It starts to howl a bit at 5,000 rpm. I'm very happy with it. I have a '79 GS1000E. If you want to see what it looks like on a bike similar to yours, check out my website. Just click the WWW symbol below.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I paid about $290 including shipping from MAW.

Here's what it looks like on my S model

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.
                      Keith
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Hey Keith & Keith,

Do you have to pull off the centerstand to use the V&H street pipe?

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondj
                          Hey Keith & Keith,

Do you have to pull off the centerstand to use the V&H street pipe?

Thanks!

Jim
                          I have the same pipe as they do on the same bike and no I didn't

Comment

Like the Hoomster said, you don't have to remove the centerstand and you still have access to the oil filter.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
                              I replaced my worn Kerker earlier this year with a V&H pipe.
                              Not really loud until the rpm's rise.
                              At idle it's pretty wuiet.
                              I leave for work early, like usually by 5:30am, sometimes earlier.
                              No neighbors complaining. One actually asked if I had a new bike as it was quieter

I left the jetting alone from the Kerker. More mid range and still has lots on the upper range. I like it better than the Kerker.

Only problem I had was the first pipe sent was defective. One of the flanges was incorrect in shape and size :?
                              Once MAW got their schitt together and replaced it, all is good.

Nice pipe, fit well, still have access to the oil filter and drain and I was able to keep the center stand

Nope kept the center stand.Plenty of clearance.
                              Only problem is I lost usage of one of the passenger pegs.
                              My wife's not happy
                              So I bought a 1100E
                              Keith
                              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Comment

Working...
                              X