Chain adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain adjustment

i posted a few days ago but i never saw the post but here goes again.....should i adjust the chain while someone is sitting on the bike or should i just put it on the centerstand?

Re: Chain adjustment

Originally posted by rick romero
    i posted a few days ago but i never saw the post but here goes again.....should i adjust the chain while someone is sitting on the bike or should i just put it on the centerstand?
    Factory Service Manual(FSM) for my GS1100 says adjust on center stand .8-1.2"(20-30mm) of slack.

Comment

Adjust on the stand, but checking with suspension weighted will tell you if you're too tight, the chain should never feel stiff/tight, should always have a little give to it, or you could do some damage!

Comment

I have the same question but I have always wondered about checking the oil level...on the centerstand or while holding the bike upright.

Hap

Comment

for oil checking i hold the bike upright

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
            for oil checking i hold the bike upright

So do I as far as the chai n I adjust it on the Centerstand

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
              I have the same question but I have always wondered about checking the oil level...on the centerstand or while holding the bike upright.

Hap
              Oil level...I doesn't matter "ifffff" your engine is basically level. IMO its the lean angle(R to L) that will give you a false indication rather than front to back. Sighting in your oil site glass the oil level should be like "----" and not " / "or " \".

Comment

Well Hap, on my 750, if its sitting on level ground and on the centerstand, and the oil level is on the full line in the sight window,
                taking it off the center stand, and putting it on the kickstand, will show an oil level that is even with the low mark in my sight window. If the oil level is just out of sight in the window with it on the kickstand, I have to add a pint to bring it back to full level.
                I normally check now with it on the kickstand since if I see any oil in the window, I know I'm good to go, if I dont see any, I need to add some.

Earl

Originally posted by Hap Call

Hap
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

With the bike on the centerstand, I rotate the wheel slowly checking the tension until I find the tightest spot. Noting where the tire is in relation to the ground, I bring the bike down and line up the tire to the ground where the tight spot was. I then sit on the bike and check the tension and adjust as required. Remember to recheck after everything is all tightened up, as sometimes the chain can be too tight. And for those of you who are about to say, "There must be something wrong with your chain and sprockets if you have tight and loose spots", WRONG! Go check your bike(shaft lovers crack a beer), I bet you'll find some spots are tighter than others. I have put brand new chain and sprockets on bikes and found this.

As for the oil checking, I put the bike on the centre,er center stand. For bikes lacking this fine feature, one has to fart around trying to figure out if the damn bike is level. :?
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I check mine without a centrestand, its pretty to get the bike level (ie left and right) you just find the spot where it is easy to hold the bike upright with two fingers, then you check your oil [/quote]

Comment

Working...
                    X